Lane Cedar Chest Hinges

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mjg941, Sep 3, 2018.

1. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

49368970-80A1-4879-804A-FDE18A143223.jpeg We have a Lane cedar chest, style 482068. Anyone have any idea what kind of hinges we need for the part that supports the tray? I attached a photo here. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I have no idea of the style of mine, but the internet suggests it might be the same/similar to yours. If the photo below looks familiar, let me know and I'll take shots of the tray hinges.

(please excuse the striped bit of fabric that it is currently protecting the top from the claws of an old cat -- who needs to make the jump to the bed in two moves instead of one)

cedar.jpg

4. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

I’d love to see pictures of your hinges! Thanks!

judy and i need help like this.
  5. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

i need help likes this.
  6. Jivvy

If you need a different shot, just let me know!

cedar02.jpg

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  8. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

Great idea! Thanks!

I did contact the company about the lock and the hinges. They had no clue regarding the hinges.

9. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

Awesome! Thanks! Any idea what that style of hinge is called?

judy likes this.
  10. Jivvy

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Deleted op resized. ;)
    Clicking Full size for all images next time, will give a larger photo. :)

judy likes this.
  12. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

Thanks! Still new to this! Hubby is hoping to refinish the chest — trying to do my part to help! :joyful:

13. Jivvy

I did not see your pictures before -- yours is different. Don't know if that will make it easier or harder to find, but someone will be along who knows what they're talking about. :D

judy likes this.
  14. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

I only just posted them a little bit ago. I appreciate your pictures, though! My husband seems to think the hinges we need are probably the same. Hopefully @verybrad might have some insight! Worth a try at the very least!

judy likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure they have a specific name. Found a patent for a hinge and tray support that was much more complex than this one. Could not find any replacements available anywhere using multiple search terms.

Jivvy, judy and i need help like this.
  16. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

Me, either! I’m starting to think this is a lost cause. :arghh:

17. mjg941

mjg941 New Member

I just found this picture of a different chest. I wonder if these could be the hinges I’m after? Anyone know what they’re called? 395E0CB0-65FF-4E4C-8778-E14E2D523F63.jpeg

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  19. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

The last chest I restored I found those type hinges at home depo or lowes (cant remember which):cigar::cigar::cigar:

20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

At one point in time many, many moons ago, Lane hope chests were built with a
    lid-closing "system" which automatically "locked" when closed.

That was problematic if a child climbed into the chest and shut the lid. If the lid had fully closed down, the chest could not be opened from the inside so a child couldn't climb back out of it.

At some point Lane started making the "closing system" on their hope chests "child-proof" so that the "closed" chest could be opened from the inside.

I'm wondering if someone attempted to change/modify the lid supports/locking system on the hope chest so that it met the "child safety" standard(s).

Draft saved Draft deleted