Featured Lapis earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yet more from the pile and again I can’t remember where I bought them as it was several years ago.
    I think they are gold but what puzzles me is how old they are likely to be. The way the ear hook is attached looks like some victorian earrings but they are nearly an inch in diameter (7/8ths) which seems a bit big for that time. As I’ve never made jewellery, to me the hook attachment looks a weak link, likely to easily break. Any thoughts please? Thank you.
    86FC1A3B-05A0-4D64-A739-85CA3AD723D1.jpeg 637CFE65-F1B2-445F-A0DC-8A66E0A2E57B.jpeg 125D3C65-04E1-4FB2-8624-44317B1A751E.jpeg

KSW, komokwa, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are the free ends of the wires as blunt as they look? Suggests to me not US, UK or Europe for origin. I like the simple design, but you are right about the vulnerability of the wire. They look pretty sturdy though.

Rec and kyratango like this.
  3. Houseful

Yes, ends just snipped off.
    Just had a look and included Afghanistan and India as your info and found this company. The work looks similar but they hallmark and use silver gilt metal. No marks on mine though.
    0ED3105C-290D-4017-9754-1E8EE54E9F52.jpeg 22BE5F11-8D23-4F42-B5C0-230595DCCA05.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Rec, KSW, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Victorian wires were well rounded at the end, and no bent angle as can be seen here and on your above examples:cyclops:;)

Rec, KSW, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Houseful

Thanks, I see what you mean Kyra.

Rec, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They seem modern to me. I mean made fairly recently, but intended to look like an older style. This is just an impression, with no logic to back it up. They remind me of jewelry I've seen in museum gift shop catalogs. (But museums usually stamp a logo as a mark on the metal.)

Bronwen, Houseful and Rec like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s useful information Kyra.

Bronwen, Houseful, Rec and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted