LARGE CARVED BUDDHA MASK WITH HANDLE ON BACK?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 8, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today. I thought it was beautiful, but expensive ($49.95). When I asked the manager if he could do any better he offered it to me for 440 I agreed & bought it.
    I don't think it's meant to hang on a wall; the upper edge is slanted so it would slide off a nail. But it does stand up on it's own, so maybe it's a statue?
    It measures 16.5" tall x 12" wide.
    What is the handle on the back for? (there is a piece of paper there that I can't make out completely - maybe a auction number or collection number?)
    What kind of wood is it?
    Any idea of it's age?
    Thank you for any info; it is appreciated.

ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 1A_AA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 1AAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 2BAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 2AAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 2DAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 2EAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 3AA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 3AAA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 5AA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 5AAA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think the label might say made in Bali...Indonesia
    it's new.....and the handle is just a fancy ring , for to hang the thing.....

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I can see the paper has what looks like a 23 and the letter c but not the rest - but Bali sounds right
    Would I call it a Buddha mask? Buddha statue? (Is buddha correct?)
    Also it looks like a piece was repaired?
    Thanks for the info!

ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 6AA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 7AaA.JPG ART CARVED BUDDHA HEAD WITH HANDLE 7BAaA.JPG

4. komokwa

Albesia wood from Indonesia......

fakeyeoman2.jpg lynntrusdell2.jpg mask33.jpg

5. komokwa

yes, a repair.........that open cell wood...is crappy wood...

buddah mask....will do...........I think u overpaid...:(:(:(

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I agree decorational value

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Those aren't handles - those are his ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted