LARGE CARVED WOOD AFRICAN(?) HEAD SIGNED ROLAND ON BORROM

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 24, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This was my mom's.When she passed away last year my sister, my brother & I split up her storage unit & took what we liked so we could close out her contract with the facility (she'd had that unit for decades!).

I picked this piece because I remembered it in our living room as a kid.
    I always assumed it was African, but yesterday while photofraphing it I noticed a signature (ROLAND) on the bottom!

Does anyone know who the artist is?

Is this African tribal art or decorative art (it's definitely some kind of art!)?
    Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 2A_AA.jpg ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 3AA.jpg ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_A resized.jpg ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AA.jpg ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AB.jpg ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AC.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AD.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AE.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AG.JPG

samuelcaulfield1 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is bottom & signature

ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AH.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AJ.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AJA.JPG ART STATUE AFRICAN HEAD 1AA_AJA.JPG

Matchew and scoutshouse like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I tried searching the name on the bottom but couldn't find nothing unfortunately so it might be more decorative

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Actually try typing in "idubor roland" on Google. Maybe that's him?

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

He also has a Facebook. You can ask him if this is his work. If it's not maybe it's a relative? Worth a shot!

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Probably not him. Quality of his work is higher; he signs his work "R.Idubor"; and he is modern artist working in 21st century. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. journeymagazine

Thanks, but this is definitely from 60's - 70's at least from when I remember it in living room as a kid.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

african art..... nice tourist carving...

9. Matchew

Matchew New Member

I just bought 2 carved statues that are done by the same artist and was looking up online to see if I could identify the artist "Roland". Statues are large- about 45" tall.
    I was told the couple bought them in Jamaica (Haiti?) 50 years ago on their Honeymoon.
    Did you ever find out anything? I would be curious to know!

Matchew

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Matchew . I will tag the original poster in hopes that he will see your post. @journeymagazine

11. journeymagazine

Nothing more than was posted - I still have it!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted