Featured Large Carved Wooden Bell No Signature

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, May 26, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for unusual bells (yes...and a few other things). This is the second wooden bell in my collection, acquired within the last 2 or 3 years. It has a deep, melodious sound, somewhat soft but with sufficient authority to carry quite a distance. I doubt it was made to hang on a livestock animal.

All materials are natural, but the carving was done with sharp steel. Where, and by whom? It shows no wear on the clapper, nor any of the fibrous material suspending the bell itself or its clapper. The fiber cord knots neatly tucked into recesses beneath the holes for the handle are the ends of the clapper's suspensor cord. Based on the overall lack of use or wear, I'm willing to accept that it may be a tourist treasure...from Africa, or SE Asia, or ?

It's ~9" wide, ~7" high, ~5" deep; ~⅝" wall thickness; it weighs ~33 ounces. It and its clapper are hardwood; a thumbnail won't dent them. The block was carved to display its grain, which shows best in pics 5 & 6. I'll take & post another few pics to better show that grain, and the odd profile of the notch...soon.

One face has the horizontal notch, above mentioned, of unknown purpose near the top; the opposite face has the shallow upper corner truncated, also a mystery. They may not have any meaning but for the whimsy of the artisan.

You folks have surely seen one of these...it can't be a one-off. Tell it like it is, please...my desire to know is deep!

fullsizeoutput_91fc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91fb.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91fa.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91f9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91f8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91f7.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91f6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91f5.jpeg

KSW, janettekay, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

very intriguing, if its hardwood it would have taken some effort, is it from a solid block of wood? Also why make it that shape?? Looks roughly made but seems worn and smooth, but you don't think its showing any wear in the right places?

KSW and judy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Probably a traditional cow bell, from India or elsewhere in Asia. If you google "Asian wooden cow bell" you can find a variety of shapes, some similar to yours.

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

@wlwhittier : Nice bell, and nice job on the photos.

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Y'know, I should have mentioned that external appearance, which you've noticed. Not only smooth, having been 'sanded' somehow, but almost waxy...polished. And the wear to be expected on twisted natural fiber, where the clapper hangs from only a single strand from a multi-strand twisted rope...if that bell had been used very much, there should be some fraying...a few loose strands of the material showing...near the hole in the clapper; but there is not.

You may have also noted the difference in the knots at the ends of the handle; one well-enough done to be trimmed close, the other one not nearly so much, and un-trimmed...it looks to me as if that end has been shortened; who knows how much? Perhaps the bell was originally intended to be hung from some creature's neck.

More pics on the morrow!

KSW and Potteryplease like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

BoudiccaJones and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted