Large Chinese Ceramic Jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Illielee, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

What is this jug for? Wine or Liquor?
    About 2 feet tall and signed on shoulder below rim.[​IMG] [​IMG]

aaroncab likes this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Somebodey had posted some jugs like this a month ago or so. I can't remember exactly but I think it was stated they were filled with some type of rations and were carried on boats for supplies. I may be wrong though.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It may have even held rice. The Greeks and Romans did the same thing; they put all sorts of things in jugs that weren't liquid.

4. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

After digging around I believe they are Shaoxing rice wine jars.
    If anyone knows anything about these please let me know. I'm curious if they are a dime a dozen or if there is collector value so I can determine what to do with it.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good digging.....
    china...rice wine jug ......I would have to think unless someone destroyed 100 million of them....there are still lots around.....

Draft saved Draft deleted