Featured Large Chinoiserie Box - Tea Box or Other Use ???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Sep 22, 2020.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone ! I've just acquired a lacquer box which is currently winging it's way to me in the post (hopefully!). I don't normally collect such things as this, but it was too good to pass over (and the price was right !!).
    It measures 33cm wide by 24cm deep by 20cm high and weighs a hefty 6kg. It has a removable inner metal box with an engraved lid, and still has original keys. I suspect that it may be English, but will need to inspect the lock as and when it finally arrives.

Are there any members here who might have a better idea as to the intended original purpose of the box ? Perhaps it was indeed intended for tea, but then again, it might have been used to safekeep documents or even valuables.

Any comments will be most gratefully appreciated !!!

Peter. 554_2103494755.jpg 554_-1774727532.jpg 554_2061420665.jpg 554_-1292969820.jpg 554_-1226914714.jpg 554_-635907785.jpg

quirkygirl, Rec, Bronwen and 9 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

This is 19th century export Chinese Canton lacquer, most of the box seen are sewing boxes.
    Very sought after!
    Don’t know the use of your beautiful box:sorry:

3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like a very large tin lined tea caddy but better wait for the experts.:bag:
    Is that little white knob ivory??

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think tea caddy too. I've seen the locks on them before.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Maybe cigars?

Can you show a better picture looking into the box. I can't understand why a tea caddy would have only a partial divider.
    Papers wouldn't need the metal lid.
    upload_2020-9-22_17-5-53.png

6. Anouchka FG

Anouchka FG Active Member

Maybe a tobacco box!

15Stiftgasse, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. 15Stiftgasse

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. The box arrived this morning. The apparent 'divider' is missing - I assume that it was merely something that the seller had stored in the box previously at the time the photos were taken . Also, there is no sign of any division inside the box itself, just a plain square metal liner, engraved on the lid.
    I also checked the lock for any clues. It appears to have the word 'PATHNT' (sic) stamped on it, instead of 'Patent'. There is also a further stamped mark which looks a bit like a bear (?) pawprint - all of which seems to suggest to me that the box was originally made in China for export (probably to the UK) as Kyratango suggested.
    I think that I will hang onto it- especially if I can find a spot for it in the vitrine. As you all know, good pieces are few and far between, especially nowadays.

Thank you all once more.

Best wishes, Peter.

kyratango likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Definitely Chinese lacquer as @kyratango stated. No question about it!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  9. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Drools...oh! Goodness! Excuse me!

I adore, love, love, love lacquered boxes. All boxes in general, really. What an amazing find you lucky you, you!

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well with no divider, I would vote tea caddy or sugar box.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Tea caddy, as you say.

15Stiftgasse and popsycat like this.
  12. 15Stiftgasse

Many, thanks again for all your generous contributions !!
    After further research, it looks indeed as if the box is a Chinese Export Lacquerware Tea Chest Caddy - or something very similar. I've managed to check the prices on similar pieces for sale / sold, and they were, well, eye watering you might say.
    It look likes this is possibly one of those 'once in a lifetime' finds that one definitely should hang on to.
    Thank you all again.

Peter.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not something I'd give away , easy !! :woot:
    Nice find !!!;)

15Stiftgasse and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted