Featured Large Decorated bowl - birds and insects

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Another box, another old bowl, heavy pottery, over 11 inches diameter. This one has no makers marks at all and an obvious stapled repair from the back. The decoration seems Chinese to me, though I could believe Japanese, but the border seems maybe Islamic? Underglaze blue for the border, the gilding and other colors look overglaze. What are thoughts on where and when this is from?
    P4072405.JPG P4072406.JPG P4072407.JPG P4072408.JPG P4072409.JPG

trip98, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Chinese export, my guess is Tongzhi or Guangxu, unusual but very attractive border design ..butterfly motifs tend to be associated with rose canton pieces, decor looks quite canton-ish too. Rivet repair looks good too, (later type) earlier type rivets go all way through.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm with Blooey.

Isn't that repair a "staple?"

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is Chinese.
    I could be wrong, but I believe by WWI, staple repairs were not used very much.
    I think your plate is from the mid to late 1800s.

I found this, although not the same, the pattern is very similar. Pheasants and butterflies.
    https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1453413

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't/weren't those stapled repairs considered acceptable repairs?? LOVE the colors & design!!!!:):):)

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I never even knew china used to be repaired this way until I joined this forum. From what I've read here, it suggests someone valued the piece pretty highly at the time.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Common name in the trade for this kind of repair is "tinkered" ...as in "tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor" (or spy;))

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Staple repairs do indeed mean someone placed high value on an item. They were also used on glass - I've a HUGE cut lead crystal urn which someone obviously cared about. It rather died out pre WW1. They were expensive, time consuming and synthetic glues started to be made. It's an entire collecting field, too.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My great great uncle was a china stapler. I do not know the proper term is. He was from France and repaired many of my grandmother's things. I still have a few pieces that he had done. The thing I remember most was a coffee cup with 17 metal staples in it. I do not have it now, my aunt tossed a few years after Gram died. I was so angry about it's loss. Uncle Miele always said measuring the holes and heating the staple to the right temperature before inserting was the hard part. He worked in NYC for years before retiring to the farm.
    greg

trip98, bercrystal, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  12. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow, so interesting! Too bad you don't have that cup.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was wondering how it was done. Thanks. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted