Large dyed silk? or other textile - Samurai

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by aaroncab, Feb 26, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I acquired this a few years ago at an auction - if the pics look a bit askew it's because it's not hanging level. It's about 6 feet tall, so the figure is life size. Can anyone tell me anything about it - All I know is I think the figure is a samurai. I'm not sure if it's silk - it was rolled up when I bought it so it has some wrinkles.

~

32756276070_e1af0c338f_k.jpg 33097392516_914bc68817_k.jpg 33097394596_3784b3a5cc_k.jpg 32982269792_b271eeaebc_k.jpg 32756304760_923bd154fe_k.jpg 32982278302_44501f58ef_k.jpg

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He looks like he's Japanese and probably a batik.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. aaroncab

I wondered if it was batik - I just know nothing about batik so I couldn't say :)

4. evelyb30

If he's a batik odds are it's actually cotton (I plead brains fried by MS + goofy weather). It takes a fairly sturdy fabric to stand up to the technique. Your hands will tell you the difference, or if they don't grab a teenager.

5. aaroncab

It does feel like a fairly sturdy fabric, and not as soft or smooth as I would expect from silk - so probably cotton or perhaps linen?

6. evelyb30

Odds are cotton; I don't think I've ever seen something made of linen coming from Japan.

7. aaroncab

Good to know, and thank you for your help :)

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The image is Japanese which is not to say the textile is.

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  9. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Is this a textile painting of the famous cross eyed shogun Youa Noseemee?

10. aaroncab

Hee hee - he does look a bit cross eyed - which is enhanced by the fact that the fabric is hanging at an angle - pulling his eyes a bit closer together - however perhaps this was meant by the artist to be a depiction of the Mie pose(of which crossed eyes are an element meant to display anger)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie_(pose)

11. aaroncab

The cross eyed mention led me to the Mie pose ...which has now led me to wonder if perhaps this is a depiction of Kamakura Gongoro Kagemasa from the kabuki play Shibaraku.

Draft saved Draft deleted