Large Earthenware Slip Glazed Water Vessel; Mexican?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 10, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I've seen jugs like this called an Ola...it's ~12½" high without the lid, ~10" major diameter; the neck is ~4½" long, its mouth ~1⅜" ID, the foot is ~6½" diameter. Weight is ~74 ounces. Very skillfully thrown, smoothly finished...but the lid seems crudely done, almost brutally utilitarian by comparison. It is decorated, and unmarked.

I've had it 25 years, and got it from an old friend who had an eagle eye, and whose collection was first rate and highly eclectic. She liked me, and essentially gave it away.

Does it appear Mexican, and if so is it an Ola or has it another name? Thanks, y'all, for your comments!

fullsizeoutput_992d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_992c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_992b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_992a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9928.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9927.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9926.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9924.jpeg

Nathan Lindop likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think that's a typo. "Ola" (o-la) means wave in Spanish. "Olla" (oye-ya) is a cooking pot.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Roger that, Debora...but this isn't (I don't think) for cooking.
    I've got a couple others (a pair), smaller & slip-decorated, of roughly the same shape. I'll post 'em later.

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Just a thought Whit... Might this lid belong with one of kendi jars you posted yesterday? It doesn't quite seem to match this jug, and I did see quite a few kendi water vessels with lids like this while scrolling through internet search pictures yesterday.

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, of course, it isn't for cooking but that is what the word olla typically means.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

No, Laura...the lid came with it, decades before the Kendi came into my possession. I wondered aloud about the contrast when I got it...my friend assured me that it was correct for and with the vessel.

7. wlwhittier

So...this vessel could generically fall under that name, whether for cooking to not?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, although I'm seeing pots of roughly that shape referred to with a modifier such as as ollitas de riego (little irrigation pots) or ollas de barro (clay pots) to avoid confusion. These are Mexican and seems they're typically unpainted and unlidded.

Debora

ollitas1.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

Perfect! You've clarified that little disconnect for me (and others, too!). Thanks, Debora!
    I'll post the decorated one PDQ.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing it. Decoration always helps identify.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted