Large gilt framed oil on canvas River and mountain scene Signed

Discussion in 'Art' started by gouldcx, Jul 11, 2022.

1. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

2. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Roaring20s likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Someone else can probably do this better, E. S......, E. Swoboan, E. Snoboda E. Swoboòu, ?

upload_2022-7-11_9-31-48.png

upload_2022-7-11_9-35-40.png

upload_2022-7-11_9-36-26.png

4. say_it_slowly

5. say_it_slowly

There was an Eduard Swoboda.

6. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Thanks for the time and effort so far, much appreciated. The Rudolph Swoboda mentioned above does not fit in with the frame (ofcourse the frame may have been used later), however there was a Rudolph Swoboda Sr. (Rudolph Swoboda The Elder) and his style of painting is closer matched.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that's the same one.....

Debora likes this.
  8. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Its definitely the same one. Im just wondering if the artist is rudolf as listed or prehaps rudolf senior, his uncle.

9. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Wonderful painting! I wonder where its been since 2012 though? Sadly looks like a new cut or hit in the sky and maybe one in the bottom right corner. Also maybe a new layer of dirt or dust (maybe that's just a reflection?). Is it oil on board?

FYI if a dust layer has just built up recently, it's usually much easier to wipe it off without risking damage to the painting. Might just be able to carefully wipe with a clean, soft cotton cloth (definitely do your own research here).

10. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Yes unfortunately a few cuts which have been repaired and 2 which have not yet had attention. Would you think having it cleaned would make a big difference to it? See below for back of the picture photos. I got it from an estate in Ireland. Its oil on canvas. 20220711_170421.jpg 20220711_170334.jpg

techbiker likes this.
  11. techbiker

Are there 5-6 cuts total? What did you pay? Honestly based on my research, it would probably be a better use of funds to save up for a re-line at this point. I'm not a restoration expert, but I've heard a good rule of thumb is to reline if you have more than 2-3 cuts. I applied 4 patches to my "19th Century Fort" painting and the job worked out (search for my thread), however I paid just $90 for that painting initially. It was destined for the trash before I worked on it.

In your case I'd have the conservationist conservatively clean your canvas while re-lining. Given the size and condition of your painting, you will likely pay over $1000 for a good conservation job.

If your painting is worth very little (in the $100-$200 range), you can either hold onto it, sell it, or speak with a company like Gainsborough Products for DIY help. Warning: if you try any DIY methods it is possible to permanently ruin the painting, especially if you don't have restoration experience. Seeing that it is canvas and has 4 patches already, I'd be very cautious before even wiping it with a cotton cloth. The canvas may be fragile and unstable.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are in a tough spot (I've been there). I haven't done any research on value of your painting though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  12. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

I wont put you to the trouble of researching the cost, I paid €600 for the painting. I did not pay to have the fixes done but bought it with the 2 current cuts. I wouldn't attempt a restoration job myself as I am new to all this. Just thought the painting was brilliant.

techbiker likes this.
  13. techbiker

It's a wonderful painting for sure! W/ this info I'd recommend getting a trusted opinion on value. Then get a conservation estimate from a restoration/conservation expert. You'll then need to decide whether it's worth conserving it now. If not, I'd just keep it in a very safe place. One more hit may be catastrophic, especially if the old patches aren't well done. I'm not there though so please take my advice with a grain of salt!

gouldcx likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

It is a lovely painting!

gouldcx likes this.
  15. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

After speaking with an expert from Dorotheum Vienna, she xonfirmed that it is not Rudolph Swoboda. The signature is similar to Eduard Swoboda however it is not in his style.

Draft saved Draft deleted