Featured Large Green Victorian? Perfume Bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 19, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I had been resisting buying yet another perfume bottle from the reseller's treasures, but I failed miserably. Sorry! I looked for this bottle for hours and found one in a similar general shape but that was all. I had assumed it had an atomizer because of the screw in metal top, but the one I had found with the same general shape (but without the line indentations) had a screw-in stopper. So I don't know if it had a screw in stopper or atomizer. It is 5 1/2 inches tall and 2 1/2 inches square at the base. There are gold grapes and leaves, and other designs painted on the surface that are worn off in most places. The bottom is heavily scratched from use. I don't know it the photo shows it but there is a polished pontil scar on the bottom, which is concave. Someone used pliers to try and remove the metal top. So is it Victorian Period, as advertised? Also does it involve an atomizer or screw in top? Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0320.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0319.JPG

judy, stracci and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The Victorian era is defined from 1837 to 1901. I do not think the bottle is that old. I personally would guesstimate it to be somewhere from 1905 to 1915 but I am always willing to concede to someone with more information.

pearlsnblume, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

What a beautiful green color. Like big emerald. Very pretty. Can’t help, just admiring it’s beauty :rolleyes:

4. KikoBlueEyes

Peggy
    Thanks so much for weighing in. I respect your expertise and am satisfied with your age estimate. I research again with just an antique label.
    Kiko

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I resisted it forever, but you are right. It is a very lovely color. Thank you.

6. bercrystal

You are very welcome!! :kiss::kiss:

It is too bad about the damage to the collar. :(:( I really don't know why someone would think it is a good idea to use a metal tool to loosen the hardware. :mad::mad:

I have had some stubborn bottles over the years that I had to finally hand over to the DH to try to get undone when all of my tricks have failed. However, he always uses some type of cloth to cushion & protect the bottle as well as the hardware.

7. KikoBlueEyes

I think I can touch it up. The glass is pretty scratched too, so it only goes to show you, someone used it and prized it. If it hadn't been mashed, then I might never have got it. Do you think it had an atomizer?

8. bercrystal

That would be my guess.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks. I saw a similar shape with a stopper, but with the screw hole, I figured atomizer.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You could try some cerium oxide paste very gently on those scratches.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. I'll track it down and try it!

12. Ownedbybear

Ebay! ;)

Bar Keepers Friend can also do it.

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. Will do.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  14. bercrystal

I will have to try that myself on one of mine that came damaged. :happy:

I love Bar Keepers Friend & I always have a can or 2 on hand. It is great for removing the small rust spots dishes get from some dishwashers. :D:D

I prefer the powder to the liquid variety as I do not think it works as well.

lvetterli and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

The powder is way better and it's very useful stuff.

KikoBlueEyes and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted