Featured Large guilloche sterling pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

I've recently bought this pendant and I couldn't find anything similar online (maybe I'm not using the correct terms).. it is gold over sterling (tested, it has no markings). The stone tests as citrine and the pendant it's really large: approx. 4.5 inches x 2 inches.
    At the beginning, I thought this had been transformed from a compact, but I don't see any marks on the back..
    IMG_2521.JPG IMG_2522.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2524.JPG

Any idea about age and value ? I do plan to sell it, as it is not my kind of jewelry.. :):shame:
    Thank you !

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Never seen anything like it.
    What little I know about jewelry...it looks bench made buy someone talented enough not to solder it to death....but with no taste of proportions, or balance.

The guilloche goes nice with the pearls but the stone is overkill, & the metal used to hold both looks like bar stock..........& yes at that size the guilloche looks like it started out it's life...as something else.
    No marks.... why am I not surprised !!

Sorry ..I can't help with age ... I'd think each piece has a different age !!
    & value ...... as much as you can get for it...........

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think you are absolutely correct, that the guilloché part started life as the lid of a compact. And agree with komokwa's assessment of the skill & aesthetics of the pendant maker. In the photos, the color of the stone looks more like olivine than citrine. It has a very similar hardness.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    could be Geneva. art deco, good guilloche, made on customers request, no manatory marks needed.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

If the stone is as green as what is in the photo and tested as quartz.It is most likely heat treated amethyst to make prasiolite or if yellow then citrine.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Someone has taken the top of a compact and added the stone and pearls.
    Inventive and different.

Oh forgot to say:
    The compact is probably 1920s-50s. The stone and pearls are set in today's type of setting up to the last 10 years give or so.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I also think a marriage. The lid of a compact was too beautiful to throw away or left sitting in a box, so they made it into a pendant.
    And I agree, the stone looks too green to be a citrine. My guess would be peridot, olivine, like Bronwen said.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, the top looks like a modern Indonesian peridot pendant.

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

For women who have wide features (think Vanna White, Oprah Winfrey). Such women cannot wear the delicate, pipsy poo kind of jewelry so beloved by Jared, et al.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd wear it, too. Pipsy poo. Love that.

11. Bronwen

And I can't wear 'statement' pieces. I'm tall, so pipsy poo (is that anything like twee?) looks inappropriately girlish. But I'm fine boned with narrow shoulders, a modest bosom, so those bold, dramatic necklaces & bracelets, I look like I'm wearing my mommy's jewellery. I have to stay in the Goldilocks zone.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think I am somewhere in between pipsy poo and statement. Small person with big head (you all already guessed that, didn't you:hilarious:).
    This pendant is huge, it would make me look pipsy poo.:D Normal size hands, but oversized rings look strange.
    I am starting to sound like a monstrosity.:eek:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Suspect that might be the back of a Finberg (F.M.Co.) compact, they made that shape (nice enamel work, but most often done on brass)...

~Cheryl

14. silverthwait

Pipsy-poo and twee are similar, but not the same. Pipsy poo is a pale pink little heart on a slender gold chain. Twee is the same heart, but edged with pink and white roses and an arrow piercing all.

Zinnie, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  15. Bronwen

Thank you for the explication. Think I'd rather be accused of pipsy poo than twee!

Zinnie, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. silverthwait

Mais oui! Non twee!

Zinnie, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

Ça suffit. :happy:

Zinnie and kyratango like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when you gals get going..........yer a hoot !!!! Very Funny !!!! :hilarious:

Zinnie, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nous disons NON a "twee"! I'm about 5'7" and wear a men's 15.5x34 dress shirt, for those familiar with US clothing sizes. Pipsy poo and twee on me are invisible.

I'd throw a cord through the OP's chunk of a pendant, throw it over a sweater/jumper and walk out the door.

20. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody for pointing me in the right direction..
    Now I can't figure it out what am I.. I'm not very attracted to pink jewelry, do you have anything in blue ? :):confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted