Large Heavy Pewter Jug/Pitcher/Flagon Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wildrose, Oct 26, 2019.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Well I don't really know what this is, it is very large and quite heavy, I would say it holds at least a gallon but I know I wouldn't want to lift it full, empty it weighs almost 7lbs. The closest thing I have found was this.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101128115710/http://pewtertankardsflagons.com/index.php?p=1_9_Germany

Mine has an interesting slide bolt closure on the lid to prevent spills when pouring. 9" to the lid, 12 1/2" to the top of the handle. Thank you for any help you can provide. I appreciate your time. pewter.jpg
    pewter6.jpg
    peewter3.jpg
    pewter1.jpg
    pewter2.jpg
    pewter4.jpg
    pewter5.jpg

2. wildrose

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't really have a clue. Seems seriously overbuilt unless, as I was thinking, it was made to withstand being placed in or over a fire to heat the contents. Don't see any indication this one was ever used this way. What do you make out the red here & there in & around the mark to be and where is the mark located?

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's pewter, so marked. The top looks like it's engraved to Brother M...something. Giant beer pitcher?

wildrose likes this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Lite Beer, of course.

wildrose and blooey like this.
  6. wildrose

marked on the inside of the lid

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

8. wildrose

I have been looking for several days and only found the two examples I posted. Thank you so much! One question, maybe dumb, they all say tin when I translate, that would still translate to pewter, correct?

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Tin is the main metal in the alloy...... https://www.craftedcupcompany.com/about-pewter/

wildrose likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

yes, there's no special word for pewter in the English sense; no one-to-one translation.
    my feeling is, that these were coming into fashion with the industrialization on the continent - around 1820s to 1830s - because the danger for the working men was much higher that the broth or whatever food they took to work with them was contaminated by poisonous stuff; the round handle was also used to hang it on a twig when they still worked in agriculture.