Large India Painting - Is This a Mughal? Why Are They Never Signed by Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 7, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is the 2nd painting I got today from a local thrift store. I believe it;s a Mughal(?)
    It's big - 46.5" x 35.5" w/frame!
    What's the difference between a Mughal and a reg painting from India? - The Mughal paintings seem to bring more money!
    It looks like a story (or a village?).
    Why don't the artists sign them?
    Thanks - hope you like the painting!

ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 3BAA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 3CAA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 3DAA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING INDIA MUGHAL 5AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first reaction would have been Persian or Kashmiri. Beyond that, dunno.

judy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is very nice and well painted, journey, but it isn't old enough to be Mughal. The Mughal period stopped in the 1850s. The style is also different.
    Does it say India anywhere? It is a fairly recent painting, and looks more Turkish than Indian to me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    judy and kyratango like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Mughal refers to the period of the Mughal Empire in the region of northern India, 1526-1857.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire

The paintings during this time were usually miniature illustrations in books, not larger paintings on canvas.
    https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-astounding-miniature-paintings-indias-mughal-empire#:~:text=Mughal miniatures were small (many,composed of a single hair.

The one you have found is probably a recent (and enlarged) reproduction, such as those offered by this company:
    https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view...qX9bPHUY5GwLj9diR9yTwmQ0vM2CJm5YaAkkpEALw_wcB

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's more ambitious than what you usually see.

judy likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

So what do I call it when listing it?
    Thank you all!

judy likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Would I call it Asian, Kashmiri or Indian?

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Given the different types of fez and turban combinations, I still think Turkish. This is a scene which shows different types of headdresses known in the Ottoman empire, including the pointed hats which used to be worn by Arab nomads.
    The very high fez (in the tent bottom right) was worn by Ottoman Hajjis I think (people who had been on pilgrimage to Mecca).

Turkish Sultans wearing a fez and turban:

Abdul Hamid I
    [​IMG]

Suleiman the Magnificent
    [​IMG]

By comparison, the Mughal turbans:

Shah Jahan
    [​IMG]

Shah Jahangir
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  9. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

I dont really think this is Indian or Mughal painting.
    As AJ has already explained this is not Mughal.

The faces seem off and don't seem Indian at all. The eyes seem narrower and longer.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I agree. The general feel is also not Indian, a subtle thing but I'm sure you know what I mean.

The connecting factor in both Mughal and Turkish miniatures are Persian miniatures, but since the cultures are different, the interpretation and details are different.

14. journeymagazine

15. Any Jewelry

They still make these paintings in Turkey. And since this is one with a nice modern twist, it is fairly recent. Very well painted too.

16. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

If you are not sure of an exact descriptive name, you can use the generic term "oriental".

TTA

Draft saved Draft deleted