Large metal container what is it and is it old?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kevolee, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am pretty sure this isn't a Pier One reproduction, though some of that stuff has fooled me before. It stands around 14 inches tall and is around 9 inches in diameter at its widest point. It was fastened together in segments and the finish, paint or whatever it would be called is interesting. I thought it was tin, but there are a few places with very small scratches where the metal appears to be gold colored, so maybe copper. It isn't especially heavy, 3.1 pounds, though the metal isn't especially thick either. There was felt on the bottom that I removed so that is what the textured lines are from. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

IMG_6829.JPG IMG_6833.JPG IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6832.JPG IMG_6836.JPG IMG_6837.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a decorative Chinese import to me. Let's see what others think.

Debora

Jeff Drum, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I 2nd .

Jeff Drum, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know about the age, but tea canisters could be of such a size (even larger) and had similar lids. Something dry anyhow.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

I'd also say it could be from 1900s onward but its hard to say without looking at it in person. There are a lot of oriental shops that sell things like this, so it could also be something more recent.

7. Kevolee

Thanks everyone. I found a Moroccan couscous container that was somewhat similar and did leave me thinking it could be for tea or grain. The dovetails at least make it appear old. There used to be a antique guy here who knew a lot about everything and would take his best shot for a five dollar bill but he retired a few years ago. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone to take a look at it.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With that narrow base, it wouldn't be very stable once filled.

Debora

9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That isn't the kind of dovetailing done on old european or american work. To me it looks like a modern chinese or possibly other asian country, with the kind of artificial applied "patina" seen on, yes, peir1 stuff.

Debora likes this.
  10. Kevolee

Yes, Debora if there is one thing I am worse at than researching old stuff, it is physics. It would be tippy. Other than drawers, I know nothing about dovetailing. It's growing on me so it's a keeper I think no matter what, but I may still have someone take a look at it if I can find the right person.

Draft saved Draft deleted