Featured Large pottery charger plate wall hanging

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by billyd3us, Oct 18, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I got this this morning from a living estate sale. The old man said it was from Italy, though I have never seen Italian plates or pottery from there with this color back, only white and this one does not have any markings or names . Any ideas if he was right ?

Thank You 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

cxgirl, aaroncab and judy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Your plate, known more correctly as a “Tondo” when discussing art, was probably made in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. The overall design is called “Cartoccchio” or Gothic Floral in English. The pattern first appeared about 1450. It consists of idealized scrolled leafs and flower petals with fine scrollwork stems.
    The back of the plate was stained to look old. It was not signed or marked “Italy” because it is not a production piece but rather individually created and most likely sold in Italy as a tourist piece. Therefore it was not necessarily intended for export and did not have to bear any markings.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Walter Del Pellegrino
    Thank you very much. You always give the most helpful information in a way that is easily understood by those of us not familiar with Italian pottery, or pottery in general.:kiss::kiss::kiss:

pearlsnblume, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Very nice info Walter, Thank You for this great information.

Draft saved Draft deleted