Featured Large Redware Pot w/Green (Rutile?) glaze - Cole of N.C.?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by finders, Mar 19, 2023.

1. finders

finders Member

Sharing here a recent acquisition - large (ca 10" tall) redware pot - unsigned except for an old hand-written price on the bottom. I have some familiarity with North Carolina pottery, especially from Cole but no real expertise. I do believe this to be Cole and probably an early piece but rely on experts for more detail. I was particularly taken with the glaze, which I have variously seen referred to as "rutile", "drip" or "frogskin" and with the incised decoration which based on my experience, is fairly rare in Cole pottery. Welcome any/all comments. Thanks. cole1.jpg cole2.jpg cole3.jpg cole4.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with your analysis as to NC pottery. Would call it a rutile glaze. Don't know enough about NC pottery nuances to attribute further.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is lovely -- I don't know anything about most pottery, so will leave for others to reply.

pearlsnblume and Rclinftl like this.
  4. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it also looks like a Jonah Owen piece for North State Pottery / Sanford - I currently have a piece just sitting here being neglected so I might as well take some pics....

!north.jpg !north2.jpg !north3.jpg !north4.jpg !north5.jpg !north6.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted