Featured Large round pottery "Finest English Cheeses" covered cheese dish w/ crown. when? who?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, May 4, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I got this on a tablelot that included a large Fortnum & Mason basket along with other items from England. It is 6 5/8" to the top of the handle on the lid, 7 1/2" across the top of the base & is 8 1/2" across the bottom of the base. There are no marks of any kind on the bottom.

I found a couple of similar ones, but I didn't see one with a crown. Would this have been used at any particular shop? When was it made / used?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :kiss::kiss:

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Peggy, that's really neat!

There's a dead-link one on Pinterest, originally from Ruby Lane, that's a little bit similar to yours, but I imagine it's newer:
    english lidded cheese dish.jpg
    The little bit of description says only:
    This ironstone Cheese display advertising stand dates to early - mid 20th century. Originally used for displaying butter and other dairy products

There's also a larger, older "slab base only" also from Ruby Lane. You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page here:
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/441414-AMT3262/English-Ironstone-Finest-English-Cheeses-Dairy

3. bercrystal

I did see that one also. Hopefully the folks on the other side of the pond will be able to help out when they are up & going tomorrow.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd make a cheese joke.......but screw that....It's Delightful !!!!:happy::happy::happy:

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since English is spelled Englisch here, it seems perhaps from continental Europe? The spelling looks Germanic. [No it doesn't!]

[EDIT: Note that I'm wrong here, and Ownedbybear pointed that out!]

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing Englisch?

These were reproduced in the 70s, and I suspect that's its date. Shops like F&M sold them avec fromage.

PortableTreasures, SBSVC and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Well, that's my fault. Still early in the morning here! Not sure how I saw that. Maybe I am becoming German. :)

say_it_slowly and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You need more coffee. ;)

Shwikman, say_it_slowly and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Yes!

Also, I have some German ancestry and have been recently trying to make out the old German handwriting on 19th-century records. Besides crossing my eyes, it apparently crossed up my mental interpretations as well. I'll be aware in the future. ;):)

say_it_slowly and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Languages have a habit of fighting over supremacy inside your brain.:eek::nurse: I can attest to that.:banghead::banghead:

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

I know! In this case I reflected on it and think it was because the C at the beginning of the word "Cheese" mixed with the end of the word "English" that comes right before it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. bercrystal

Thank you so much!! :happy::happy::happy:

Hopefully someone will want to have this even with the damage. :):)

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  13. bercrystal

Any suggestions on the best category to list this piece?

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's a cutie!!!!!

15. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Scheese! Don't be so hard on yourschelf.

16. Figtree3

Oh, Schucks! :)

Dawnno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted