Featured Large signed Mexican pendants/brooches

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Nov 15, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

27877A5B-6305-4F30-A132-BDE8288F1796.jpeg F2DE3DEF-A6FA-4D6E-9E24-0B8B4D3007CD.jpeg 39D66E95-0B74-4238-840C-91B8D7A54634.jpeg 28A2DB5E-9BEF-45E2-B24B-4378F69EC23D.jpeg DE80BB11-B56B-420C-933D-FC1C43EE5BA8.jpeg Got these two Mexican brooches/pendants recently. Can’t find any info on Rosa Guaman. Not sure on the other name. Would these have been the former owners names or the maker would you think? Since they are both very similar I would think it may be the same maker with different owners names? They are quite large at about 5” diameter. Not silver it seems unfortunately. Any ideas on potential value for resale?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why Mexican?

J Dagger, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

A Tupu, or shawl fastener.

They are probably alpaca - nickel silver. But nice and old.

5. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I agree...South American, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador. Alpaca...and they usually wore them as a pair. to fasten their shawls against the wind. The pins were worn facing forward mostly worn in pairs.

J Dagger, DragonflyWink and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The one is (mis)spelled Otavalo so expect Ecuador as that's the country's most famous market town.

Debora

J Dagger and DragonflyWink like this.
  7. J Dagger

Thanks for all the great info guys!!! They were described as being Mexican by seller so I just went with that. There were several other erroneous descriptors. Looks like the old Ecuadorian jewelry doesn’t sell much. Luckily I only paid $20 each for them so hopefully if I give it some time and price them well they might move. Looks like there’s a lot of room between what I paid and what folks are asking.

8. J Dagger

So would you think first name of maker and town where made? Or first name of owner and town where they lived?

9. J Dagger

Early 19th?

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

They're a version of these with the pin element bent inward. Idk if that helps date them.

Screenshot_20191116-085408_1573923340022.jpg

And I wondered if artisans signed their work that early? Possibly those are the names of the owners?

J Dagger likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Seems darn near impossible to date them. They were made for thousands of years and things can survive so well in that region. If anyone has an idea let me know though. The Met has a really great bit of info on them here: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/309228

scoutshouse and Xristina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted