Large Stockton, Cali Cabinet Photo! Help with ID?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 23, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this awesomely large cabinet photo of a guy riding a horse in a fancy outfit. The photo is taken by John Logan of Stockton, California. Should be circa 1910. However, I would love some help with an ID of what is going on here! I believe it to be a horse parade of sorts.... Maybe the outfit will help with an ID? Military?
    20200222_211257_resized.jpg 20200222_211326_resized.jpg 20200222_211402_resized.jpg 20200222_211420_resized.jpg

moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just curious... Where did you get John? The Polk directory has Charles W. Logan at 15 South San Joaquin. The internet identifies the business name as Logan Studio. Think your timing is about right. And as to occasion... given flags, 4th of July perhaps? The San Joaquin Historical Society might be able to help identify.

http://sanjoaquinhistory.org/contact.php

Debora

Fid, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  3. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. But the ad itself doesn't say John. Not much to go on but I wonder if it might have something to do with Stockton's (large) Italian community. That eagle-topped standard in background is quite distinctive. Reminds me of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquila_(Roman)

Debora

gettyimages-487852883-612x612.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could rider be Knights of Columbus?

Debora

3a9e6b2024d0cd7fb87fb2f3e0cfbf97--knights-of-columbus-catholic-religion.jpg

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think so too, Debora.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Another vote for Charles W as the photog. He and his wife Emma are listed in the 1910 census and he gave his profession as Photographer. I was unable to find a John Logan of any age in that census in Stockton.

Bronwen and patd8643 like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My thought also is parade....looks like rider is wearing rubber boots & imho not holding reins appropriately!!!:rolleyes::happy: But at least he's up there, trying!!

Draft saved Draft deleted