Large translucent agate with turquoise flowers, origin help ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Calico, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Hi All ! I have this large 2" agate set in sterling with scrolling stems and turquoise flowers riveted to the center.
    I know it's newer but the only mark is the 925 inside the bale. Any ideas where this was made, India maybe ?
    agate1.jpg agate2.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's no real clues. I doubt it's Indian, it's not the style. Might be Indonesian or even from our neck of the woods. I honestly don't think that matters. It will sell on pretty, which it is.

3. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thank you Bear. I haven't been able to bring myself to list it, I wear it quite a bit. It just may have to stay with me.

4. Ownedbybear

I'd not sell it either, far to wearable and well made, too.

5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Could it be camphor glass? I had a camphor glass brooch that had a very similar delicate vining flower motif on the front like yours with the turquoise beads...early 20th century, I think it was.

I'm trying to find a similar example on google (I wish I had kept my photos along the way). I'll see if I can find one and post it.

6. tie.dye.cat

This one was listed as chalcedony - not sure what the difference is. I wish I could find one with more of the flowering on the front, but this is all I could find.

antique-chalcedony-turquoise-oval_1_9605a033bd12b40ad7113e6c06cf36bd.jpg

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

judy and tie.dye.cat like this.
  8. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

VERY similar, thank you TieDye and Lucy.b. :) The stone tests in the quartz range and because of the slight banding I assumed agate, but they are all forms of quartz. I'm pretty sure the sterling frame is newer but now I'm wondering if it's been put in a new frame from an old brooch.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  9. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

judy and tie.dye.cat like this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

Ahh, there we go! I had listed mine as Camphor Glass cause the ones I found at the time were listed that way, but maybe Chalcedony would have been the better term.

Either way it's a lovely pendant, and I can see why you'd not want to part with it. I love that delicate flower pattern; it's unique. I had not wanted to part with mine either, but making money usually rules over my desire to hang onto something.

11. Ownedbybear

I suspect calico's is a copy of the older brooches, looking at the back construction.

12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Bear, what part of the construction makes you think newer ? I'm seeing a range of Victorian ones done with wire, some with rivets and some with tacks or screws like mine.

13. Ownedbybear

Those polished dome rivets - they look newer to me. Unless they've been redone.

14. tie.dye.cat

Mine had the same rivets on back, fwiw.

15. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I was able to test the polished rivets on the back and they test as solid 14k+. I think what has happened is this was a Victorian brooch set in gold and possibly removed from the setting to scrap the gold and reset into the sterling frame.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My problem is I have a LITTLE difficulty "parting with"......just the same, yours is lovely, Calico!!!!!!

17. Ownedbybear

Oho. I think you're spot on calico.

Draft saved Draft deleted