Large unusual andirons with odd little gizmo attached - need help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've never seen andirons like these before. The circular parts are either brass or copper. The legs might be cast copper. The supports are iron. There is an odd little mechanism on the left hand andiron that replaces one of the legs. Someone told me it may be a thermostat but I have no idea how it would work. They are really big - the medallions are about 11" across.
    I need help with everything - metal, style, manufacture, maker, etc. Also - do you think the little gizmo was added later?

DSCN5370.JPG

DSCN5371.JPG

DSCN5365.JPG

DSCN5367.JPG

DSCN5366.JPG

DSCN5378.JPG

DSCN5359.JPG

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Those are absolutely amazing - have never seen anything like them before! On the underside of the legs where nobody can see, make a little scratch and see what color of metal is underneath the patina - a goldish color would mean copper/bronze metal.

3. Bookahtoo

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are amazing!
    Going to go scratch now.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very cool! Does anything turn in the gizmo? Kind of looks like a gas air-flow intake/regulator. Wonder if these were adapted to a gas fireplace insert at one point.

cxgirl and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. verybrad

This is kind of what I am getting at. This is a standard air intake/regulator for a gas furnace.

[​IMG]

cxgirl and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

It's hard to tell on the scratch - mine looks silver, but others done naturally look copper colored.

Brad - yes - you can use the little metal button on the end as a dial to make the insides turn.

7. Bookahtoo

If it were adapted, how would they work?

8. verybrad

The gas burner would have had an arm that fit into the back part of the round gizmo. They wouldn't necessarily even have to be attached if they fir together well. It may not be an adaption but it is odd that the one has no leg other than this.

9. Bookahtoo

Oh - I get it. Thanks.
    It makes me sad if this is an adaptation - they would be so wonderful complete.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh I think they're wonderful anyway!

11. Bookahtoo

Thanks. Yes, they really are.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wonder if they were a home project. My great grandpa used to make stuff like that instead of buying it. I would swear that he made them, it would not bother him if he did not have four legs that matched. I wonder if they were part of an old stove that was converted?
    greg

13. Bookahtoo

I wouldn't be surprised Greg. But where did the huge medallions come from?

14. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Maybe copper plated (or just painted?) at one time over iron/steel to match the color of the "Pinwheels" - silver would indicate a ferrous metal.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    They might have been some sort of heating vent from floor to floor. They might have gone together as a set open to let heat up closed to prevent the heat. I am only guessing as you can tell.
    greg

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hi Greg !
    I'm thinking home made too......to wit ....I found this...which is bang on what I suspected it to be.....

Large Antique Cast Iron Round Heater Grate / Vent

[​IMG]

The inner piece is 11 1/2 inches........

[​IMG]

17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

18. Bookahtoo

Awesome! Thanks komo. Off to google.

komokwa likes this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if that gizmo thing was a fan for forcing the heat into the room.

Remember in the late 70s-early 80s, the energy crunch, a lot of fireplace sets were adapted to force the heat into the room instead of going up the chimney.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

In 1982 I had a Vermont Casting fireplace insert, like this one but with the optional fan structure to blow the heat from around the fire chamber back into the room.

Worked like a charm.....cept you couldn't sit in front of it while the fan was on.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.