Featured Large Wood Cabinet - Irish? Trying to date, and determine keywords for style/config

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by gimbler-dave, Jan 5, 2018.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

This large cabinet recently came in and we are trying to get some information about it. It is configured as 2 pieces, shown in some of the pictures as it came to us. In other pictures, we have cleaned it up, and sit the 2 pieces together as designed. Does anyone have any guesses as to the age of the piece? We've been told it is of Irish origin - does anyone see anything that would confirm that? Thanks for any help or observations! ... Dave
    db_irish_01.JPG db_irish_03.JPG db_irish_05.JPG db_irish_08.JPG db_irish_04.JPG db_irish_09.JPG db_irish_06.JPG db_irish_07.JPG db_irish_02.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

simple...but very nice !!

James Conrad, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see woodworm holes wich is a good indication of european origin. Just a guess,but Id say English or Irish circa 1900.Part of me is wondering if this might have been cobbled together from old bits?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If so it was done a long time ago, judging from the state of the wood on the back.

James Conrad, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice looking, but 4th image down looks like there are some happy bugs in there!!!!!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it. Could be Irish, or English as johnny said. Or Scottish?
    Those quatrefoils, curved drawer fronts, etc look Historic Revival. Gothic style with some 16th-17th century style elements thrown in for a pretty result.

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Country piece, rather than a top retailer, which adds to the charm. Hence the scruffy back. I think earlier than 1900 - mid 19th or so. And North of England. Tudor revival.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I still get the feeling the top and bottom are a marriage?

James Conrad and buyingtime777 like this.
  9. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I can't quite shake that feeling either although I would call it a very good marriage! I can't find any exact matching details between the pieces and I would have thought the boards on the back would have aged the same shade. I think it presents very nicely though and is likely made by the same maker IMHO. I am not an expert on furniture though by an stretch!:joyful:

10. Ownedbybear

I think it's fine. Country made stuff isn't as "designed" as higher end, it's part of the charm. I do like that original interior paint.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, country pieces can only be judged as country pieces, with a country life.;) I love the interior paint as well.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it were American, that blue-green paint would push the value up by quite a bit. The more I look at that the better it gets.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Oh, I think here the paint would add value, too. It's a very nice honest piece, that.

James Conrad likes this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Very attractive piece, although i know little about english/european furniture, I'd guess, mid 19th century.

15. Ownedbybear

I think that's a good guess, James.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted