Larger Kashmir or Paisley or ? Shawl

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jeff Drum, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is a very fine weave and rather huge (about ten feet by three feet). Is that too large to be a shawl? You can see how fine the weave in the last pics with one inch squares in the blue. Anyway this one has a definite front and back. Black background, which interestingly shows some red in it as seen in the last pics. What is this??
    P2012079.JPG P2012083.JPG P2012080.JPG P2012082.JPG P2012084.JPG P2012086.JPG P2012078.JPG P2012076.JPG P2012077.JPG

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a shawl. Here's how Queen Victoria wore hers (which explains the size.)

Debora

2a500fe7ba981aa172a96135a12903b7.jpg

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

These shawls were made both in large square shapes, and in long rectangular shapes such as yours. The rectangular shape gained popularity when the young Queen Victoria favored it early in her reign, but both styles were used through most of the 19th century. These were woven in England (Paisley and Norwich being centers of production), as well as in some European locations, using elaborate drawlooms in the early period, followed by the more mechanized Jacquard loom by the 2nd quarter of the 19th century.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very inviting to moths. If you haven't done so already, you'll want to look carefully for holes as effects value. Here's an antique photograph of a non-royal wearing a rectangular-shaped shawl.

Debora

1a056c45979c85994613adec820d20c9.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. Jeff Drum

Amazingly it looked to me to be in perfect condition, without any holes or other moth damage. I'll check more carefully now that I know what it is. Most of the 19th century rugs I find have at least some moth damage, but I guess this must have been put away in a drawer or somewhere safe. I wonder if it was ever worn. It must be made of wool, but it is an incredibly fine and silky material though doesn't have the shine or feel of silk. Could it be cashmere; if so how to tell (or does it matter)?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It will be wool but it won't feel like it.

Debora

Darkwing Manor and Jeff Drum like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

8. Jeff Drum

bluumz, kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What a beautiful thing!

PortableTreasures and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

They (early ones) were said to be thin enough to pass through a wedding band ring!

Figtree3 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Great article, thanks! That one is going into my reference library. Some sellers think these are tablecloths or piano covers because of their size. It takes a lot of yards of fabric to cover that voluminous silhouette!
    shawl.jpg

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They were a sign of status and wealth here. Bit like designer shoes are now. ;)

Darkwing Manor, kyratango and judy like this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I remember my great-grandmother "boasting" that her first ball gown/dress (hoop skirt) was ten yards to the hem of watered/changeable violet taffeta - so stiff it nearly stood on its own..................you could probably make a tent that sleeps 6 with that much fabric..............

Darkwing Manor, kyratango and judy like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's a wonderful image, @Darkwing Manor . Is it part of your collection, or did you find it online?

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

On-line.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

That's why there are many more extant 19th century orphan bodices than matching skirts. All that good yardage got recycled into other garments. :(

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted