Last Cameo Needed

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Bronwen, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have her 11 sisters. 'Need' to complete the dozen. The elusive lady looks like this:

Day5BW.png

Wanted: one that is at least reasonably well cut and realistically priced. This one is neither:

Day5Cameo1.png

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I looked at what I have and don't see that one. Is she always in a similar pose, and holding a frond (sprig?) in her hand? I will be on the lookout.

There are no good antique stores in town any more. I am probably going to a show near the end of October. There is at least one vendor of antique jewelry there. She tends to have high prices, though, and her wares are in excellent condition and presented well. And there is a chance that a friend and I may venture away from this metro area to go antiquing. So, who knows?

3. Bronwen

That's my hope in putting her up here, that she'll stick in some corner of the brains of members who look at jewellery. You never know what will turn up where. My avatar is in a ring & signed by Filippo Tignani; seller was in Wyoming.

A good cameo of this subject would include the setting sun & the sprig (have never figured out the significance of this). Her counterpart with the rising sun looks like this:

judy, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  4. Bronwen

Oops, hit Post instead of Upload. Like this:

Day2Chromo1.png

Day2A.png

judy, kyratango, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What's her name?

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Bronwen

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Okay, I didn't know it was a secret. ;)

8. Figtree3

judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Yes, exactly, the one with the lowered arms holding a plant sprig in the hand behind her. The only one I don't have, because the one shown, which is still for sale, is unacceptable for $300+. The ones that don't fit well into a conventional cameo oval were not done as much. Have seen the sunset one as a bracelet panel; the quest is for brooch/pendant size.

10. Bronwen

Not quite secret & once well known. Took me years of being on the lookout to find the answer. Have to have something special to offer on my site. :writer::turtle::happy:

judy, kyratango, i need help and 2 others like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice:) Do we get to see the others you have in the set?

12. Bronwen

Showing the cameos would take up a lot of space, but here's the whole line up:

upload_2018-9-18_20-5-18.png

The original frescoes are lost, known only by engravings. When they are printed in color, the hues of the robes are up to the printer, so they're seen in all sorts of color schemes.

I know there's a photo of one of my cameos with the figure in the bottom row, third from left, somewhere in the Show & Tell thread, same one as at the auction link given above. I have better examples of some than of others, so always looking for better ones.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Bronwen:) They must be very impressive displayed as a set!

14. Bronwen

They make a little thicket, although there is a huge, overbearing cameo of Judith holding the head of Holofernes next to them that draws the eye away. There are a couple it would not be prudent to put out in plain view.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would be great to have the complete set, I know how that feels, searching for that last one that always seems to elude you.

I just took another plunge into Dutch and Belgian cameo listings, nothing yet.
    Only 300 more Very Rare Antique (1950s-60 pretty ladies) to go on one site. The occasional quality one, but not yours.:( I'll keep looking, also for what we talked about in a pm, which I have kept an eye out for.:cyclops:
    The deep and dark world of cameos. Stunningly beautiful on the outside, but once you dig a little deeper....:shifty::D

16. Bronwen

The results of a search for 'museum quality cameo' will make you weep. For some reason, the pickings are better on eBay US & UK than in other countries. Have come away disappointed from searching eBay Italia.

I could tell you the secret handshake, but then I'd have to kill you.

Thank you, ma'am. There's really no knowing what will pop up where or when. :happy:

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I'll keep her in a corner of my brain;) while lurking into EB listings:cyclops::joyful:

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:nailbiting::hilarious:

19. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

interesting thread on cameos... any idea what alternate names one might come up with for the 'fifth hour of the day' caricature? I came across a "museum quality" cameo listing of the 'third hour of the day' called "Rarest Cameo of Vesta"

20. Figtree3

Just as an update, @Bronwen , I looked at cameos during a couple of recent antiquing trips but found nothing like this one you are seeking. You might have guessed that woukd happen. Thought I would give it a try, though.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted