Featured Late 1800s Stained Glass Window

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Melissa L., Jan 27, 2024.

1. Melissa L.

Melissa L. New Member

Hello,

I have an antique stained glass window that has been stored in my grandparents basement. The window is 3 feet by 7 feet and is from the late 1800s. The window came from Philadelphia. I unfortunately do not have any additional details.

Does anybody have any feedback/information on this window or does anybody know any experts in the field? I am looking to find more information on this window and I am also interested in selling it.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Wow-- that looks amazing. But we're probably going to need more and better pictures to really be able to help you.

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Melissa L.

Melissa L. New Member

I have these pictures but I will need to take more and follow up. IMG_2236.jpeg IMG_2237.jpeg

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

If you can, try to get a couple close-up to help determine the way in which it was made. Those can be important clues to origin and age.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Breathtaking piece. If you can, go back to your first photo and repost as "FULL IMAGE" as well.

This glass is absolutely amazing. Maybe needs to go to a nationally advertised auction house where an expert can evaluate hands on. I think the dating of late 1800s is close.

This could be by a well known glass maker, and I'm not sure anyone can make that call from photos. Maybe someone here knows an expert in the field of stained glass. Are you on the east coast?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  6. Melissa L.

Melissa L. New Member

7. Melissa L.

Melissa L. New Member

I just reposted the first image. I will take more up-close.

I am located on the East Coast.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

cxgirl and Potteryplease like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

00000ca.jpg

To the manor born.

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The boy in the window looks like it is based on a specific photograph. He is wearing a version of "Little Lord Fauntleroy" suit, a style that became popular around the turn of the century, late 1880s into early 1900s.

Perhaps a memorial window?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and NewEngland like this.
  11. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

That is stunning! I'd love to see it with sunlight shining through. I agree that this needs to go to an auction house with national advertising. I can see buyers getting in to a frenzy over it. It's definitely not your average stained glass panel.

bercrystal, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very nice window and, potentially, pretty valuable. Agree with a late 19th century date. I think contacting a good auction company with a record for selling stained glass is good advice. Even if you don't end up consigning, it should give you some idea of value. Another option would be to consult with one of the larger salvage companies.

A few auction companies with good track record for windows are:

J. Soloman and Mackintosh

Dan Morphy Auctions

Great Gatsby's Auction Gallery

There are others. I have not personally dealt with any of these so do your own due dilligence

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A fancier version of a Little Lord Fauntleroy suit. Based on the clothing of the protagonist in the 1886 novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Debora

2004-315-02-p14-p7+copy.jpg

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont know how or where,but Id so have that in my house ! I dont think its a memorial window,wouldnt those have a date or name somewhere ? I think its just an homage to a very loved child. Its so elaborate and well done I almost want to throw Tiffany out there. But everyone thinks their stained glass is Tiffany so there is that.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can't enjoy the rest of the glass with the boy standing there...., but I agree he's the focus of the whole piece.

How much tha surrounds him is painted on the glass?

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ber!

Agree with the comments above. This window is stunning! It’s true that everyone wants their stained glass to be a Tiffany, both for value and beauty; sadly, however, they seldom are. But this window is of that quality, even if I don’t think it’s a Tiffany. Remember, however, that the quality is the thing, and this one’s got it! I’d investigate John LaFarge as a possibility. He's the other “name” in late 19th Century American stained glass. BTW I’d say that this piece is ca. 1890-1900.

I would add Fontaines Gallery in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, to Brad’s list. They deal in lots of Victoriana of the very highest quality, such as this window. They reach an international audience, and could no doubt suggest a maker and value for your window and probably sell it for you as well.

I’d so love to buy it from you, but like my colleagues above just have no proper place to put it!

18. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I will lay odds that you did some mental calculations even though you knew there was no hope. ;):p:p:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: :kiss::kiss:

I knew you would be able to help @Melissa L. because this piece would fit in perfectly with all of the beautiful pieces you have shown us. :D:D

20. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Well aren't you kind! I did, in fact, survey the house for a likely spot, but with our 8-foot ceilings there was just one, in the stairwell, and it’s already occupied by a tapestry. But I gave it a shot!

Draft saved Draft deleted