Late 19th C. Cranberry Cased Glass Cut to Clear Inkwell - Identity Stourbridge

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gary Wright, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Gary Wright

Gary Wright New Member

Hi Antiquers

I only joined a few hours ago and here is my third Identity request.:shame:

I have what I think is a late Victorian inkwell. Cranberry hobnail cased glass cut to clear and star cut to base. The inkwell's top base is silver plate and the hinged top is made of copper and brass. I don't think these were ever silver plated as there is no plate residue. The brass top must of had some sort of finial or knob, which is now missing. No makers marks.
    Measuring 9cms diameter x 8.5cms high.

Firstly, have I described this correctly with the right terminology and in fact is it a late Victorian inkwell? Secondly, any idea of maker or where it was manufactured? Stourbridge? The nearest I could find on the net is a glass biscuit barrel with same cranberry cut features it mentioned Stourbridge but no maker. And Lastly, would this be classed as crystal or lead crystal glass.

I have attached some pictures that I hope will help the experts to identify this rather attractive piece.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me in identifying and dating this inkwell.
    With best regards
    Gary
    image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi Gary, as far as description goes, it isn't exactly what I would call cranberry cut to clear or even cased glass, although it is a very nice piece. When I first looked at it, I thought ruby stained buttons. Cased glass is 2 layers of glass and cut to clear means the darker color (in this instance red glass) would be cut to show the clear glass beneath. Your piece is almost all clear so not cased, that's why I think the red color is stained. That's all I've got, I'm sure others will have more information.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Gary,
    I agree with Pam but it is a really nice ink well. I would have bought it immediately.
    greg

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  4. Gary Wright

Gary Wright New Member

Thanks Pam and Greg
    Thinking would they not have added a band of cranberry glass around the inkwell and then cut it back?
    Regards
    Gary

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you get a close up of the buttons?

My immediate thought is Bohemian, rather than British.

6. Gary Wright

Gary Wright New Member

This is as close as I can get without the pics going out of focus! image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think a band was applied. I think prunts of cranberry were added, then cut.

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Or a band of ruby then cut away. It's certainly not Ruby Stained

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted