Late 19th c. German Salt Glazed Jug but what else?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, May 14, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

AC520F81-FDF2-4D33-BE46-986491F92AC7_1_201_a.jpeg 998AE90F-8C91-4484-9815-F521B51A2D8C_1_201_a.jpeg 1C2360D6-C6DF-4307-8F18-0D3EF6B72277_1_201_a.jpeg 6E1168CF-E128-4CA3-A165-3B72B595BD2E_1_201_a.jpeg 29767B51-CD87-4591-9888-6CD4EB1EB3B9_1_201_a.jpeg 0FF3D004-FF31-469B-844A-5759F1090F0C_1_201_a.jpeg I think this is late 19th c, German, and nothing else I asked at the Crock farm website but they only knew what i knew already as they deal primarily in American pottery. Can i please get some help on this? Is it a pitcher? It is 11 1/2" tall and weighs a lot. Thank you for any help you may provide!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not all that familiar with 19th C jugs but the neck banding was used also in the 18th C. I'll go dig out some books when I get a chance and see if I can narrow anything down. Try Westerwald as a search term

3. gauntlettgems

Ok, I'm off! ty

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Westerwald would be my thought, too.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. gauntlettgems

I only saw one pattern that was kinda close to what is on mine but not really Still looking

Ty

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

With the 3/4 M on the side, should it be some kind of measure for beer (or something else?) Any idea what M stands for?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

I was wondering what that was as I have never seen one before I do not know what it would be used for A beer stein would make sense since there is no spout but what a big chug this would make!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Might be maß a German beer measure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maß

I didn't do well with my books or looking at some sites online (many dead links) though somewhere Steve on Steins might have something. He does have some pear shaped Westerwald info though not really like yours. I didn't look too carefully.

https://www.steveonsteins.com/some-of-the-beauties-of-the-westerwald-3/
    https://www.steveonsteins.com/

I'm guessing you're probably right with 19th C though not sure how late. Fid might know.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

gauntlettgems likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Never mind. SIS has done it again.:)

11. gauntlettgems

Interesting. They really took their steins seriously. Imagine renting a spot for it!!?! What I don’t get is this thing is huge! It weighs a to ! You’d have to be the strongman in the circus to drink outta this. I would’ve broken it years ago for sure!! Lol

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

those big jugs were mostly used in drinking halls for cider and called Bembel. especially around Frankfurt - so tradition might have come over with the Hessians.
    thick walled to keep low temperature; bottom shows that it's cut off of the potter's wheel without stopping and given to a child to store away.
    normally this is a sign of normal massproduction up to 1914, lateron the bottoms were smoothed with a wet rag.
    the colour looks Westerwald/ Kannenbäckerland.
    sometimes when the amount of grey in the glaze is higher then it comes from the other side of the Rhine; especially the Alsatian ones look more gray than this here.
    https://www.google.ch/search?q=äppe...XvRBUIHX1_AewQ_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1184&bih=543

janetpjohn and gauntlettgems like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

just in case you mean the cage in the Hofbräuhaus: not for rent but reserved for regular guests. my great-grandfather had two steins there. was a good excuse even after he emigrated to Switzerland because he hated the Prussian Kaiser - and wars anyways - to flee the regime of my great-grandmother "to get his stein in Munich" - a standing expression in the family because everyone knew he was a rambler - and was not seen again for half a year. but always working on his journeys and sending gold coins home hidden in the dirty clothes.
    after his death at over 80 the hospital asked the family if they could have his liver for the anatomic collection of the hospital because they have never seen one in that size.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    johannnopomuk (714x1024).jpg

14. gauntlettgems

Wow!! What a story ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted