Late 19th/early 20th century furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Matt Villamaino, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Matt Villamaino

Matt Villamaino New Member

Hello,

We've got a few pieces of historic furniture at the park I work at that we are fairly sure started at the hotel here that I'm looking to get additional information on. I believe that the table is at least early 1890s and the chairs are 1910s/1920s, but any additional information we can get would be great. Sadly there are no identifying marks on any of them. The table may be one of the tables shown in the image behind it (circa 1896) furniture - 1.jpg furniture - 2.jpg furniture - 3.jpg

quirkygirl likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Our furniture experts are en route, I'm sure!

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

That 2nd pic looks like an early adirondack chair, AKA Westport and Muskoka chairs. The first Adirondack style chair was patented in 1905. Originally they were called Westport chairs because they were made in or around Westport, NY in the Adirondack Mts. Later they were called Adirondack chairs. I'm not sure how the name Muskoka got involved, but may come from where many were made later. The earliest Westport chairs were made with a 1, 2, or 3 plank or slat backs. Later more slates were added and the tops of the back slates were rounded, etc. I'd loved to see pics of the side and back.

--- Susan

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The folding ones turn up everywhere in my neck of the woods. They don't sell for much. The table probably is turn of the century, but beyond that I don't have a clue.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Table could be late 19th century. However, I wonder about the configuration. The skirt with the dovetail corners and plank top don't really seem to fit the legs. It could be that this was made for use at the park and only the legs were bought.

I think you have been given good information above on the adirondack chair. It could have been made most any time during the 20th century.

The folding chairs are a pretty common style. Not sure when they first came in to being but 1920s on through the pre-WWII years for production is probably about right.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the table is homemade. The legs look like common legs for late 1800s tables. I think they needed a large work table and someone used legs from another table. Look at the way the skirt is added - doesn't fit the quality of the leg. Nor does the wood on top match anything.

Sorry - just read Brad's comments and see that he said basically the same thing. I should learn to read everyone's posts before I answer.

8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

HI, Matt. Didn't realize you had two threads going here. Left you a message at the other one.
    Is that high chair in a mirror? The place looks pretty barren. In the other note I asked if The Summit is now a museum. More furniture scattered around?

9. Matt Villamaino

Matt Villamaino New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone, sorry about the delay replying.

Susan - I'll try and get some pictures of the back and side of the chair, but I don't know when I can get up there.

TheOLdGuy - It is actually a photograph behind the table, but it does show a high chair. We do function as a museum/visitor center now (open weekends and holidays from Memorial Day to Columbus Day typically). The place is fairly barren on the first floor, but we do have more furniture upstairs that we acquired in the early 90's.

I've got an album of the furniture from the second floor at https://flic.kr/s/aHskeCMudd

-Matt

Draft saved Draft deleted