Le Mieux China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 26, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

How come there is no detailed information on the company?
    Some claim to be French and factory destroyed during WWII. But there are some hints that it was Chicago based company.
    Any clue?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

Sorry, I didn't read - therefore, I missed you were looking for the history of the company. My bad.

4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

It's not in the index of Lehner's. I searched Google Books, hoping it would show up in an old trade journal or magazine ad, but zero, zip, zilch, nada. How mysterious. Can't find my Kovel's.

5. clutteredcloset49

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

I also found the info from the last link.
    It is still strange that there is no sources about who the make was.
    Seems like they did quality pieces and probably were in production at least till the 50's. I doubt it was a small workshop, there must have been a factory, some advertising, something ...

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Regardless, it is STUNNING !!!!!

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I know it's not Pickard, but Alan Reed did a lot of research on Chicago decorators for his book. Maybe you could ask him through the Pickard web site.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Did you see this set on ebay? It has Le Mieux China mark but also a Richard Ginori mark (Italy). Which leaves the questions, was Le Mieux the company that made the blanks and other companies decorated them or was Le Mieux the decorating company using other companies blanks. Perhaps both? Maybe they applied the gold since their mark contains the 24K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-MIEUX-CH...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

11. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

12. kardinalisimo

It would make sense that they were the decorator.
    You have pieces with French, Italian, Czech and other countries marks. I doubt that each one of the foreign maker imported blanks from Chicago based company.

The gold encrusted decoration and the maiden transferware is present almost on every piece, so most likely done by the same company.

Look at my two pieces. They have the same decoration but the sugar bowl has more like neo-classical handles and shape, which does not quite much with the more Victorian? shape of the console bowl. I'd think the blanks were done by different companies.

13. Virginia Lindley

Virginia Lindley New Member

My grandmother, who was from the Bridgeport neighborhood in Chicago, had a set of LeMeiux dinnerware. Interestingly, I just saw a post in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jim.lascola?fref=nf from a man who's grandmother worked at the LeMeiux china company. He posted a photo of his collection (a match), and said his grandmother was a painter there. "My Grandmother Hand Painted each one of these at Royal China/Lemiuex China on Archer Ave and Quinn where Windy City Silkscreening is or was. I Collect it. Some of the silverish circles were painted in Platinum paint my grandmother's dress always smelled like paint fumes I remember as a kid when she came home from work." MY grandmother lived on Archer and Loomis for years. Sounds like a sound solution to your mystery to me!

Figtree3, gregsglass and lauragarnet like this.
  14. Virginia Lindley

Virginia Lindley New Member

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. Lorraine S

Lorraine S New Member

What I can tell you about them is that I have 3 Gold and Platinum plated lamps that were given to my Mother from the owner of Regal China Mr Kravitz. Regal China manufactured all the collectable Beam Bottles. I am not sure if they also manufactured the Le Mieux but it seems plausible to me

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. Lorraine S

Lorraine S New Member

Yes I knew the owner of Regal China his name was Herman Kravitz, He gave my Mother 3 gold and platinum lamps among a lot of other things, I just was not sure if they were manufactured and painted there.
    Thank You

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted