Lead Crystal Etched Goblet - Learning tool

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 27, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this Lead Crystal Goblet because of the faded color at the rim. I always supposed that the upper portion of these goblets were made of a different colored crystal not simply an applied surface. Is this just a poor quality piece that the color has rubbed off or is this how they were made and it got a lot of use? IMG_2257.jpg IMG_2260.jpg IMG_2261.jpg IMG_2262.jpg IMG_2263 (1).jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Upper color is normally an applied color. This is typical of 1970-2000 Eastern Europe production, pressed ware with hand engraved decoration.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think it's unlikely it was sold this way. More likely is that it was run through the dishwasher too many times. To be on the safe side this type of glassware should always be hand-washed.
    Don

judy, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much Cherryhill. I wanted to know in case I ran across something I really liked. I didn't want to be turned away by a misconception.

judy likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you Don. I didn't know dishwashers could be hazardous to this kind of glass.

judy and dgbjwc like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Kiko,
    Dishwashers are hazardous to all kinds of glass and silverware. NEVER put sterling or plated silverware near any metal like stainless steel flatware. It will ruin it. I wash all of my OLD fiestaware in the dishwater but not the newer. It marks and loses shine. Also try to find dw soap that does not have Lemon. It will etch glassware in a nano second.
    greg

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Greg. Thanks for the information. I didn't know about lemon in dishwashing liquid, but I use original dawn dishwashing liquid. I hope that's okay. I'll heed your advice in the future and never wash my good glass in the dishwasher. Thanks. Kiko.

judy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Also stay away from abrasive sponges/scotchbrites. Use only soft sponge or dishrag.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Ooops. I use abrasive sponges all the time. Thanks.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me, I mentioned that it was hand engraved, without noting the difference between engraved and etched. I am remiss in expecting everyone to know the difference. Engraving is done by hand, with the artist sitting at a grinding wheel ( of varying size and composition) literally carving away the glass in the design, while etching is done with a previously prepared design made into a stencil which resists the effect of acid is applied to the glass, it is then dipped into acid that eats away at the exposed glass. The only skill involved is in making the etching plate from which the stencil is made.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you so much for this. :happy: I had no idea what you meant by hand engraving. So this is like art glass in a way, something I dearly love as it comes from skill and thought. I also appreciate you differentiating between the two things - etching and hand engraving. I was going to donate this back because it had served it's original purpose as a learning tool but now with your explanation, I'll put it in my china cabinet for use with wine. :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted