Featured Leather bag for ??? made in ???

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This leather bag looks native american to me, but maybe its just the turquoise color and I don't really know. Or could it be african? Hand sewn and tooled leather with cloth accents and unknown material for the black buttons. I don't think very old though there is some wear. It looks like it is meant to be worn around the next by the long leather lace, but then what is the opening that looks like a belt loop for? Has anyone seen anything like this?
    P2220716.JPG P2220717.JPG P2220718.JPG P2220719.JPG P2220720.JPG P2220721.JPG P2220722.JPG P2220723.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's really nice....but not any NA I've ever seen !

Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Nailed it! Absolutely Tuareg. The turquoise/greenish color is very typical, as are the patterns, even if it lacks the elaborate fringe often seen on these bags.

As to use, traditionally worn over the shoulder, or sometimes attached to the camel saddle. A lot of them are made for sale today to tourists. They were very popular in the 1970s.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yep, I had one in the 70s, I gave it away. Shouldn't have, and still sorry I did.
    Tamasheq or Tuareg men also wear the smaller ones as amulet cases on their necks or attached to their 'tagelmoust', the piece of cloth that serves both as a turban and a veil.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Awesome. I searched for quite a while with no success, thanks all.

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted