Featured Lefton Figurine with a Generic Export Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Apr 3, 2020.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I'm going to put a call out to @LeftonGuy to see if he or someone else can help me with this figurine. When I entered Hummingbird KW465 into Google search engines I came up with a Lefton figurine. That figurine is very close to mine but it is marked much differently and the honeysuckle flower on the right side is missing. Further research showed that the NC mark on mine is often attributed to NAPCO in error was a generic export mark for Japanese products. So what I'm wondering now is whether I have a Lefton product or a later copy. Height to wingtip is 4 3/4". Base measurement is 3 3/4" x 2 1/2". Thanks for whatever assistance you can
    provide.

IMG_20200403_140600921.jpg IMG_20200403_140614345.jpg IMG_20200403_140635339.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy, pearlsnblume, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I really should have though of that myself! There's really no helpful information on the label - only retailer's info. Will soak it off tomorrow and report back.
    Don

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Just being nit-picky while we wait, but that's not honeysuckle.

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

looks like trumpet vine flowers

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Janetpjohn, oh my goodness, you just reminded me of being a child who dearly loved to taste that deliciously flavored, sweet (and much better than bee honey to me) honeysuckle nectar when I could pull one little strand and have the sweet taste of one little drop of honeysuckle nectar fill my young mouth. ;)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  8. say_it_slowly

The flowers do look like trumpet vine but the leaves don't to me, at least the type found around here. Not sure if it's artistic license or a different flower or a type of trumpet vine somewhere else.

Now I'm thinking about how sweet honeysuckle nectar taste and how lovely they smell:D

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

10. say_it_slowly

Around here the leaf stems have many leaves more like these but I'm sure it varies.
    img20200404_115752.jpg

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The flowers do look closer to trumpet flowers than to honeysuckles. We don't see many trumpet flowers this far north except maybe as annual baskets. I always appreciate corrections and clarifications. I learn so much that way.

And as you see I was able to actually scrape off enough of the label to show the Lefton mark. As best I can read the label it says Belknap Blue Grass Louisville USA. From a quick google search it appears they were a hardware supply wholesaler so perhaps this was some type of a premium.

I very much appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you!
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted