Featured Lenox Sea Creature Humanoid Chocolate Pot Older Green BackStamp Held ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

I have searched on and off for 3 days with no luck. I search sea, creature Kraken embossed fish without any luck. The pot I believed to be a chocolate pot is 9 1/2" tall.
    Help needed with the name of the creature and the pat 20200608_114539.jpg 20200608_114555.jpg 20200608_114618.jpg 20200608_114707.jpg 20200608_114715.jpg 20200608_114739.jpg 20200608_123351.jpg tern name?
    Thanks, Mugz

2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy, DragonflyWink and 6 others like this.
  3. Mugzinnys

I would have never thought to search mermaid. different lid but that it Thanks

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW.....I did NOT realize Worthpoint is SO VERY PRICEY TO Belong to!!!!!!!! NEVER while I live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Darkwing Manor

Your lid might be a stock Lenox replacement? I don't know much about the company and their wares.

6. Mugzinnys

Big chip on the foot and may not be the original lid, but boy is it unique and rare keeper

7. Mugzinnys

I wish I knew someone that wanted to chip in on a worthpoint account. so true Aquitaine. Got it for a fiver, my lucky day

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Found a painted version on pinterest but the ebay link is broken.

Ceramic Art Company of Trenton, New Jersey, was established in 1889 by Jonathan Coxon and Walter Lenox and was an early producer of American Belleek porcelain. It became Lenox, Inc. in 1906. The company made pieces with sterling silver overlay from 1900 to 1910 and art deco figurines and dishes in the 1920s. It is still working as Lenox Inc.

Screenshot (43).png

Figtree3, judy, DragonflyWink and 6 others like this.
  9. Mugzinnys

Wow, Bluumz very nicely decorated, I still can not understand the name mermaid, I have always associated mermaid with beauty for some reason like Muriel, but pardon the pun but that one ugly mermaid. Then, on the other hand, it's gorgeous.

judy, bluumz, Darkwing Manor and 2 others like this.
  10. Mugzinnys

I wonder if Bronwen has a name for this mythological humanoid looking sea beauty.

11. Darkwing Manor

Yah. It's hideous. I'll put you out of your misery and give it a good home.:jimlad:

12. Darkwing Manor

You know.. that mouth. When I first saw it I thought Schafer Vater. Schafer Vater indian adn Devil.jpg schafer vater witch.jpg

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yikes!

Mugzinnys likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Interesting piece, the lid is definitely a replacement that doesn't fit quite right. The CAC painted version Bluumz showed would date earlier than yours (all the CAC marks were out of use by 1906) - since the decoration is amateurish, would be a home china painter, so I looked through a 1909 Lenox catalog of china blanks, but didn't find it. Here is one at The Met, professionally decorated:

[​IMG]

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/10024245

~Cheryl

15. Bronwen

Do chocolate pots have a strainer in the spout like this?

Mugzinnys likes this.
  16. Mugzinnys

it's like a chocolate pot because the spout is way up at the top high on the pot however you are right because chocolate pots usually do not have filters

judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Mugzinnys

I think the filter might have been put on it for effect so that you wouldn't be able to look directly into the empty pot like abstract teeth

judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Well, if you don't like mermaid, how about Siren, since she could be singing? Scylla would be another candidate.

judy, Mugzinnys and Darkwing Manor like this.
  19. Mugzinnys

What are my chances of finding a replacement lid?

judy likes this.
  20. Mugzinnys

What are my chances of finding a replacement lid? Beautiful blue pot Cheryl at the Met

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted