Leon Haffner (1881 - 1972) Painting Dated '76?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 22, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this painting (I would have sworn it is a painting until I saw the stain near top when I photographed it - a lot of his work is called gauche on paper? Could this be that & why the stain? It's under glass so I can't tell if a painting or a print without taking it apart.
    The unusual thing is it is dated '76! So if it's 1876 OR 1976 - neither one fits Leon Haffner, even though all the art work that came up googling him looks just like my piece.
    Any ideas why it has this date?
    Thanks! AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING NAUTICAL HAFFNER 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING NAUTICAL HAFFNER 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING NAUTICAL HAFFNER 3AA.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Gauche though it may be, think the word you want is gouache. :happy:

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And think the year you want is '78.

Debora

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What is it painted on? It looks like it could be gouache, which you would expect to be painted on paper. Gouache is a form of opaque watercolor. Stains like that do show up on paper. They can appear on canvas as well, but generally don't show from the front with oils or acrylics.

It's a common kind of stain, but I don't know the mechanics.

Maybe there's a Haffner senior and junior? Do other examples of the signature have that little anchor?

I agree that it says 78.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't be the same painting. That's no "clipper."

yourturntoloveit and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I thought it was for Brittannia, but I’m not finding it so far.

8. Bakersgma

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Right you are, INH.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

So the 78 is not a date and it appears there is no date significance to the numbers on his paintings. The copyright date for the ones in INH's link are all 23 Mar 1936.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

How it got from 76 to 78 from google page to posting...I don't have a clue - wait, I turned 58 last Tues; OMG! pre alzheimer's!!!

12. Bakersgma

Well, Happy Belated Birthday, then! :)

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. journeymagazine

Maybe his 78th painting of this scene? :0

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. journeymagazine

Thanks - any suggestion how I describe the 78?

15. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

16. Bakersgma

Is this a round of "what's different between these two pictures?" :hilarious:

No wonder he could crank them out so fast!

17. anundverkaufen

The one I posted is described in French as a "gouache au pochoir" = gouache stencil.

18. Bakersgma

That certainly explains it - stencil the 2 boats and the white caps, fill in the crew, paint the deck in a different color than you used last time - and find places for 3 little happy birds! Voila!

19. anundverkaufen

If you google image search "gouache au pochoir" many of Heffners show up too.

20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

You could have gone all day and night without adding the "happy birds" comment, Bakersgma.

That is shades of the learn-how-to paint fellow who was on PBS each week (we watched him many moons ago but don't know if he is still doing it).

He had a really "fast" method for "doing" trees . . . or as he always said while dabbing at the trees with green paint "happy trees, happy trees.";) :rolleyes:

His name is/was Bob Ross and there is at least one youtube video of him doing "happy trees."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted