Featured Lesson learned from a newbie

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MML, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MML

MML Well-Known Member

2007-02-21 03.11.49.jpg
    I picked up this owl figurine recently and tried to find some information online about it. I also remember seeing a few days ago in another thread, a little pottery pitcher that had a similar texture, but was still unsolved.

2007-02-21 03.13.45.jpg So looking at the signature (LIB) on the bottom of the owl, (it also looked like it was numbered 5), I typed "Pottery owl signed lib" and found nothing. I suppose I will have to bother those good people from "Antiquers" again, I thought.

I sighed as I looked down at the owl which I had laid on my lap, and what do I see.......STAN. I know :rolleyes:, I know. Now I search, "pottery owl Stan" and look what pops up.:wideyed: And there is that little pitcher from this thread below.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....202.1j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.OvI6jyuGEUc

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/u...own-cork-board-any-help-with-signature.30749/

The artist name is Stan Langtwait. Starting in the 1950s, Langtwait created pottery known as Shapes of Clay at a factory in Graham, Wash. until his death in 1980."
    2007-02-21 03.13.32.jpg
    So I learned a couple lessons.

First, I try to check in here often and read the recent topics to the right. I haven't been able to help anyone....until today, but I always learn something new that will surely help me or someone in the future.

Last but not least, turn a signature over and look at it from both ways. Did I mention I was a newbie. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

We're all newbies in stuff we haven't learned yet. And no one knows all areas of collectibles, art, or antiques. There's just too dang much of it! :D

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I know I mentioned recently searching for a Danish Modern furniture manufacturer in "Singap Oregon" from "SINGAPORE" (there was a space between the "p" and "o")

Love the owl, @MML!

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Oh, well done!

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a lucky coincidence (for me!). Just saw the ID on my post about the vase.

An ID right out of the gate, plus helping another boardie at the same time. :pompous:

Fantastic!

Thanks, MML ! :)

Jivvy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  7. MML

MML Well-Known Member

I guess it was serendipity! Glad I could help!:)

Jivvy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  8. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

That is funny!! A lesson to all -- read it every which way!

MML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted