Let's play a game again!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jul 18, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I've been very busy with silver purchases, and I just haven't found much time in my schedule to post. But here I am with one that I got today. So, here's the rules. Look at the three pictures provided. I've number the pieces. Your goal is to pick a few items to inquire about. So, to play the game, rank the items in the photo from most likely to be sterling to least likely to be sterling. Once some people have a moment to guess I'll give some more details:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bottom in no particular order:7, 12, 1, 9, 4
    Top: 8, 10, 11, 5 again in no particular order

MrNate likes this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I like the game dude, and respect your input on things silver , a masterclass for anyone interested

Something about 6 looks precious

MrNate likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

Compared to 7 that looks bullshit

MrNate likes this.
  5. charlie cheswick

But I don't know really

Fun though

MrNate likes this.
  6. charlie cheswick

I want to know

MrNate likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

8, 9, 12, 2, 6, 7, 1, 3, 4, 11, 10.

Wildly guessing.

That said, I'd turn all of them over to check if I saw these at the thrift.

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

My wild guess

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great guesses, very interesting actually. #2 wasn't even on my radar, but with so many guesses of #2 I'm kinda interested when it arrives. Okay, so for this one, I only picked one item I wanted to see more photos of (i'm not saying I'm perfect at this, just letting you know what my strategy was. The one item that jumped off from the rest of the group...to me...was item #8. So, I asked the seller for a photograph, and they sent me a photo of the wrong one (also not the back like I asked):

1.JPG

They after giving the seller a bit more directions, they showed me a photo of the back of #8:

2.JPG

So, here's the bonus round question, and I'll give you a few hints. The seller is offering everything in the photo for $60. And they live in another part of the country, so it will cost me another $35 to pay for shipping. They won't separate the group, either buy it all and pay the shipping, or buy none of it. So some clues:

1. Figure out what's in this photo
    2. Go back and look at the photos
    3. If you say buy, say why!
    4. If you say pass, say why!

Ok, finally a couple notes on what got me curious about #8. Tone was the biggest one. Looking at the main photo, it has that nice soft tone that could indicate sterling. But its that final photo where you see about half the plate...You can feel the wavy/unevenness of the tray, kind of looks like a warped mirror, something I love to see. Good luck in round 2 of the game, I look forward to seeing what you can piece together here!

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in looking at any marks on No. 3. Beyond that, I think it's plate. I don't think I'd buy.

MrNate likes this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Well you are the first to play the second part of the game, perhaps the only one. :) :) ;)

Frank likes this.
  13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I should also mention that I purchased the lot without asking for any additional photos (but you know...I could be a fool too) ;)

Frank and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hey Mr Nate, so nice to see you posting:) Glad to hear you are getting some silver!
    My guesses are #5, #8 and #10 - before seeing your post with the photo of the back:)
    I would probably pass on it, I'm just not good at picking silver out from a photo like you are:)
    fingers crossed it will be a good score for you:)

MrNate and Houseful like this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Those are GREAT guesses cxgirl. Don't sell yourself short, you are a pro. Perhaps you will figure out part two of the game :) :) :)

16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a trophy emoji for the most successful guesser?

MrNate likes this.
  17. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Hi Mr. Nate,

I would have chosen #5 - the patina on that is considerably different on it vs all other items. It has more of a goldish patina vs others which are black. So does#10

You can compare that against #10 and #11. though i have zilch experience and everything i know is only through this forum and your educative posts and games.

MrNate likes this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Really nice guesses so far, no one has quite figured the whole thing out but everyone is sniffing out the clues.

Houseful likes this.
  19. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Me, too. Wouldn't be the first time, either.

MrNate likes this.
  20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Ok looks like not too many were interested in trying to solve part 2 of the game so I’ll explain. For those that noticed, you can read on the back “Reed and Barton” sterling X456.” So I searched google and I realized that the pattern is Tara and bowl #10 is the same pattern. Based on listings online, the two items should be about $215 worth of sterling at current spot prices. So if I’m right I’ll double my money and if anything else is real it’s a bonus.

Here’s a closer photo of the edges of bowl #10, it’s the sleeper silver!
    674BB866-02DB-41BB-82C7-12D6750B3F20.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Houseful and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted