Featured LG Wright vs Fenton

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SeaGoat, Aug 4, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

So going through a box I found a bunch of reference books I never looked through.

Thumbing through them I saw what looked to be full of Fenton.

Confused I started reading and it said, " Unlike the plants which manufactured and sold their own glass lines, the LG Wright glass company did not bring out new patterns, colors or decorations on yearly basis. A Wright pattern line (such as panel grape or moon and star) or an item (such as the pump and trough) which continued to sell reasonably well would be made in various colors from time to time and dust could remain in the line for many years.

Since Wright owned the mold from which his items were made, he was free to transport the mold from one Factory to another. Records kept at Viking glass company in New Martinsville show that some of the Wright molds remained at Viking for several years While others came from Paden City to Viking for short time and then were taken to Fenton or Fostoria or Westmoreland, only to return to Viking later.
    Wright typically had glass made in relatively small quantities. He bought by the turn and this might mean 175 blown cranberry water pictures or several hundred of a small pressed piece.
    When Wrights inventory of a particular item was getting low, he would make the rounds of the glass plants which could make the Ware, typically Contracting for a few turns wherever the piece was best. "Si was a shrewd businessman," Frank M. Fenton recalls. "My father [Frank L. Fenton] often made glass for him at prices barely over cost because he wanted to keep our skilled workers busy during a slack period"
    Getting pressed items made in the standard glass colors was not particularly difficult in the 1940s, as Wright could turn to Fenton, Fostoria, Paden City, Westmoreland, or Viking. Each of these plants quoted prices to Si Wright, some even updating their quotes regularly in small binders.
    Fostoria produced an excellent pink, and most of Wrights moon and stars articles or Daisy and button pieces in this hue were made there. Fenton made opalescent glass regularly and turned out lots of custard glass in the late 1960s. Fenton would not make carnival glass for Wright, however, so he turned to Westmoreland for this treatment.
    The point of this discussion is a simple one, namely, that Wright glass is, by definition and practical fact, glassware made for and sold by the LG Wright glass company. One cannot look at a given Wright glass item and easily determine the manufacturer. The mold belongs to the LG Wright glass company, of course, so it follows that the glass is Wright glass, regardless of its particular place of manufacture.
    Wright generally did not allow other glass plants to use his molds to produce wear for their own lines."
    The L.G. Wright Glass Company

Looking at the pictures from these lines I've seen many of these pieces come through auction and they are most always called Fenton (even by Fenton collectors).

So I'm left a little confused.
    Are these pieces Wright Glass or Fenton (Westmoreland, fostoria, etc)

1501844703042707010822.jpg
    15018447546112112316273.jpg
    15018448092772107174484.jpg
    1501844860673947371883.jpg
    1501844978811440731225.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    i always thought even though the molds belonged to Wright the place where they were made was the best way to tell if Fenton, Westmoreland or others. The color was the best way to tell one from the other.
    greg

SeaGoat likes this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

By definition they are L. G. Wright glass. Made for them by various factories. If you are a collector of Wright Glass, that's all you need to know. If not, fret not, some Wright collector might be interested in them. If you collect Fenton, and you can identify a piece made by Fenton, more power to you.
    Any given piece of Wright glass may have been made by one of 2 to 8 factories. Their only criterion was cost. Last year a piece may have been made by L. E. Smith, this year by Viking, next year by Fenton. Same piece, maybe same colors. They sold to antique dealers primarily. Eventually they did market to gift shops.

4. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

So when selling or advertising would you correctly call it Wright or Fenton?

cxgirl likes this.
  5. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

L G WRIGHT

SeaGoat likes this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Fenton, Viking etc would not have carried the specific item in their inventory or shown it in their catalogs so it would be Wright. Now their molds were sold and some may be in production here and elsewhere.

SeaGoat and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I label my pieces "Fenton for LG Wright" when selling. Some Fenton collectors shy away from LG Wright pieces because they are not signed by Fenton - so the reassurance can help. There are several good books out there that discuss Fenton's production for other companies.
    Don

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

As cherryhill said, Wright had different companies make a mold at a cost he wanted to pay. So the same mold could have been produced by 3-4 different companies over the years.

It would be considered Wright Glass made by another company, which might be Fenton or another company.

You would have to ascertain either through the LG Wright book or Fenton Glass Made by Other Companies whether it was actually made by Fenton.

9. Maria Reames

Maria Reames New Member

I believe I have a
    DECANTER SET w/ 6 Goblets Moon & Stars Pattern Glass RUBY RED LG Wright Fenton. I found the exact picture of the set I have online, but I can't find any markings on anything. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Read all of the above. Viking and Smith made more Moon and Star than Fenton did for their own account. The is a Moon and Star group which may be able to help. Much more glass is un marked than is marked.

Draft saved Draft deleted