Featured Library Table with interesting hidden storage... need help with identifying and value

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by artemisondelos, Jan 13, 2017.

1. artemisondelos

artemisondelos New Member

I found this library table at a charity donation store for very cheap. The bones are good but it needs work. The top both Mahogany veneer on the ends and Walnut veneer in the middle separated intricate inlay strips. It has what looks like flower relief carvings all around the mahogany frieze. The construction is poplar under the veneer and except for the more visible mahogany It has two turned pedestals connected by a milled stretcher. What is particularly interesting to me, as I have not been able to find anything similar... is that the the entire top slides back off the frieze to reveal a hidden drawer.

Looking for help dating this and on value. I only could get a couple of other images up because they are telling me file size too heavy. But happy to post more if needed.
    IMG_7819 2.JPG IMG_7820 2.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doubt it is so much a hidden drawer as much as it is an expansion table. The top should flip open to create a table twice the size. Circa 1930 console/expansion table.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya...1st thought....expansion...

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

Is the drawer lined ?? Many of these library tables were used in a gentlemens library during prohibition !! The hidden drawer was for liquor !! I have also seen ladies sewing chests/tables with hidden drawers for same reason !! Many were converted and not originally made like this !! Can`t tell about yours !!

5. komokwa

depending of the depth the drawer could have held the added leaf.

6. komokwa

or maybe...just a drawer....

[​IMG]

7. artemisondelos

Yes! The drawer is lined in a green
    Thanks Brad. That is what I thought when I first saw it. It is definitely a hidden lined drawer and it is definitely not an extension table. Very curious.

8. artemisondelos

It was also definitely built this way. My guy knows a lot about furniture construction and he was thinking it was from about the 1920's. But this was built with the concealed drawer. We are taking it apart right now and it has very good construction. I can't find much information online about these tables. The thought that it was a prohibition table is exciting. Do you have any more info on such tables?

9. artemisondelos

No definitely slides
    Oops. My bad. It still does seem like it has a lined in fabric hidden compartment... but when we took the top off, we realized that yes... it is an extension table. My bad! Any idea on value? (purchased for $5.)

10. artemisondelos

My bad. You were right. It is an extension table. But it still does have the hidden lines compartment. We are looking closely at this and think it was built in the 1920's

11. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

The table is from the Art Nouveau period,, around 1920 or so !! If its an extension table it is more likely the lined drawer was for silver !! You run into prohibition furniture occasionally !! Like I said,,most were after market conversions and were done quite well !!

12. artemisondelos

Thanks! That makes sense. Do you have any idea of how I would find out the value of such a table?

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If it's lined in green baize, it's likely for silverware. I have a sideboard with a lined drawer for the silver.

14. marthahill

marthahill Active Member

These trestle type tables in most areas only sell for around $200. to $250. if in excellent condition !! Some areas less than that !! But for $5. you can`t go wrong !! Most had benches on either side rather than chairs !!

15. verybrad

Not art nouveau, which would be from an earlier period and different stylistically. The decoration on the skirt is more art deco than anything. The rest is based more on a much earlier form, William and Mary trestle table. Here is a period example.

upload_2017-1-14_9-17-50.png

When saying "circa" anything, it means give or take in either direction. Circa 1930 is about right for this. This is what is often referred to a depression era traditional revival furniture from the 20s and 30s. The furniture was not pure stylistically but, rather, borrowed from various styles to create new forms. Some were successful, while others were less so. As others have mentioned, if the compartment is fabric lined, it was likely for silver. The compartment was probably more of an afterthought in design, taking advantage of revealed space once the top was slid back to open it. This is the kind of thing that gave furniture makers an advantage over their competitors. Consumers would choose the one with the hidden compartment over one without if price was about the same.

16. verybrad

In my semi-rural Midwest location, we would be lucky to get $150.00 at retail. It would sell for 1/3 to 1/2 that at auction or other wholesale type venues. As mentioned condition is important. Any way you look at it, it was a good buy at $5.00.

17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I haven't heard the term baize used in "conversation" since my grandmother died.........she always referred to the servants as "those behind the green baize door".............probably a quote from some Dickensian writer, but I equate it with Gram

PS - the door between the butlery and the dining room was lined with green baize on the nether side............

18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For five bucks you couldn't miss. Just try and get wood like that new for anything under $500.

artemisondelos likes this.
  20. artemisondelos

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted