Featured Life magazine Miniatures. Period or newer

Discussion in 'Books' started by 916Bulldogs123, Nov 17, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all i have this miniature Life magazine dated March 1944 and was wondering if this is a period item or something done much later?

Mikey

atree 20380.jpg
    atree 20381.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Look in the front, or where there are printing details, and see if there is anything about it being one of the special reissues possibly printed in the 70's.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It certainly looks old and worn, from your photos. How many pages does it have? I wonder whether it was exactly the same as the full-sized one. Do you have just one small one?

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I just kind of woke up to the fact that 1970 was 47 years ago. :eek: That means even if they were 1970 repros they are nearly 50 years old. Nooooo!

scoutshouse, Jivvy, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  5. KingofThings

Ha!!!
    OH!!! :p
    I think I'D better sit down!
    Oh....I AM sitting down. ;)
    ~
    Note>>>
    Of all the people in history that have reached 65 years of age.....
    half of them are living right now.
    ~
    Hell, my truck is 48 years old! :eek:

scoutshouse, Fid, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  6. Figtree3

And if this is from 1944 it is 73 years old! :)

Mike, look carefully inside and out for any indication of when or by whom this was printed... as KoT recommended. I have a 1990s-era booklet on prices for Life Magazine through time (up to the 1990s). No small-format editions are mentioned in the price lists.

So, I wonder whether this was some sort of promotional item? What sorts of articles are inside?

scoutshouse, judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

Here's one>>>
    ~
    https://2neatmagazines.com/life/1936.html

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Good find, showing two smaller editions of the first issue of Life after it changed format to include many photographs instead of illustration art in 1936.

I can see why the first one would be issued in promotional smaller sizes, but what about that issue from March 1944? Could this have been a (semi) regular thing?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

That's what I was speaking of. There was a female photographer connected to Cornell U that contributed photos to the mag.
    She had a special show and either had examples or some were printed maybe by the U museum.
    Best to contact them maybe?

10. 916Bulldogs123

It is exactly the same as the large size. has 132 pages with lots of advertising and war articles. I have looked this over and over and have found nothing other than the date on the front to tell how old it actually is.
    thank you all for your input and comments.

Mikey

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

12. KingofThings

thefathand and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Figtree3

Interesting ... will keep looking!

By the way, how is Tonka? Getting pretty big by now?

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

Yes he is pretty much a grown boy. Ill have some pictures soon.

15. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Yeah, that's kinda unbelievable at times but that's how long ago it was! icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes, I can't get over being old, but then I look in the mirror and blamo! Reality hits me right in the chops! 112.gif

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just an idea off the top of my flat head: is it possible these were meant for WWII servicemen to be able to carry in a pocket for a little entertainment, touch of home, while away, & of course encouragement to subscribe when resuming civilian life? I remember Time used to send little red pencils that said TIME on them, not much bigger than a toothpick, as a promotional item in the early 60s.

judy, KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  17. KingofThings

There were books and booklets printed on poor paper during the war for them, probably magazines too though I have never seen a one.
    ~
    This appears to be an assumption to me. >>>
    ~
    https://www.amazon.com/LIFE-Magazine-November-subscriptions-Facsimile/dp/B000GSBKVE
    ~
    For a salesman to offer such a tiny issue of such a large mag that was 10cents seems foolish to me at best.
    Yes, I know other things were small but they were selling photographs and information. If I was a store owner or had a newsstand I wouldn't want to assume anything on the large format. I'd want to see it.
    ~
    Note we were not at war in 1936.
    ~
    Here are more>
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/life-magazine-1936

judy likes this.
  18. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted