Featured Life of Daniel Boone 1865 Cecil Hartley

Discussion in 'Books' started by anundverkaufen, Aug 5, 2019.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If info in the link below is correct, the one that sold at the auction may possibly not have been a first edition. It would need more research. Biblio is a reputable website. It does sound as if the company name is correct for the date range 1867-1895.

Also I'm wondering who the John E. Potter was who held the 1865 copyright?

https://www.biblio.com/publisher/henry-t-coates

@anundverkaufen , do all of the publication details and title page look the same on yours as in the auction?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. Figtree3

5. anundverkaufen

Yes, everything matches up with the one on liveauctioneers. :)
    Which actually sold for $600 including the 20% buyer premium.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Knows very little about books except, according to the book lady on Pawn Stars, condition matters alot where books are concerned. I notice in liveauctioneers $500 one it said "very good near fine condition". I have no idea what that means but I'd say you scored if a thrift store find.

7. Figtree3

Well, good luck with it!

The one that Kronos found from eBay that sold for $350 is an edition by the John E. Potter Co., not Coates & Porter. John E. Potter were the original copyrighters and thus most likely published the true first edition. The copyright page in the eBay one looks very different from the one on Google Books that I found. From looking at antique photos from the 1860s I can say that I have seen some copyright statements on carte-de-visite photos that look quite a bit like the copyright statement in the Google Books example.

Anyway, maybe it doesn't matter that the auction company may have been incorrect in calling this a First Edition. It depends on your audience, I guess. That company does not appear to be a book dealer. Their web page says, "At NAAC we are a professional Auction House, but more importantly we are Professional Marketers. From our detailed and outstanding graphic designed advertisements to our professional Studio Photography, our company is working tirelessly to bring in the new buyer. Unlike other major auction houses who rely solely on their past succusses to hopefully sell your items, NAAC is constantly marketing to bring the next & new collector to achieve record setting prices." From
    https://northamericanauctioncompany.com/

8. anundverkaufen

Mine is in very good condition, needs a little clean up of the cover but very close condition wise to the one that sold.

9. Figtree3

You should do well with it!

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice book! Much good luck with it.

Ghopper1924 and anundverkaufen like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The style of binding of the book you have shown is 1880s, not 1865. Without seeing the title page and copyright page, we cannot tell more about this particular version. The one sold at auction may have reached such a price because it was misidentified as a 1st. Abebooks has a few early editions (1860-1865) ranging from $40-$100.00.
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...s=t&tn=Life of Daniel Boone&yrh=1865&yrl=1860

Draft saved Draft deleted