Featured Limoge Dresser Tray

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by My Antique Collection, Aug 23, 2015.

1. So this is my first post of an actual item of ours. Please let my know if this is something you would like to continue seeing. I run a platform for my mother and her antique porcelain. She has some really nice pieces. So I thought I would start helping her out. Anyways, here is the information.

"Beautiful kidney-shaped Limoges dresser tray with handpainted violets and gold tipped edge and detailing. Limoges mark dates the piece circa 1900. Excellent condition. No chips or repairs. Approximately 13” long and 9” wide at widest point."

LimogesTray.jpg

Let me know if this is your type of eye candy. You can buy it now at the website I created. Just click on my name. If you guys enjoy, I will continue to post more!

Thanks

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lovely! Your mother has good taste.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    We always like to look at other people's collections.
    And if you need help in getting information about glass or pottery, this is the correct place to post. Always helpful to have pictures of the back.

However, if you are posting to sell, there is a seller's forum at the bottom of the forums list that might be more appropriate.

As for the tray; that is really a lovely piece.

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

However, if you are posting to sell, there is a seller's forum at the bottom of the forums list that might be more appropriate.

& not a board violation....

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is something of a yesterday's antique. (Not fashionable in the current market)

fidbald likes this.
  6. My apologies. I should have seen that. Will not make that mistake again!

7. Hmm, really! Thank you. Really good to know.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I could sell this in a NY minute at my space in the antique mall. On eBay there is a noticeable uptick in interest in these types of items from S. Korean buyers. However, as cluttered pointed out, it is difficult to know the popularity of this tray without seeing the back. If it turns out to be a hobbyist piece, then the price goes down, even though the tray is beautiful. af, I would be interested to know what antiques are considered fashionable so that I can buy those.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

All depends on where you are, for a lot of things. Elaborate and fancy seems to be out, plain and distinctive seems to be in. I can only speak for my country, and there may well be parts of the world where the very opposite is the rule.

The only constant seems to be that really fine examples of anything seem to still find a home even if the items are generally hard to sell. It is always the market for less than the best that dries up first.

10. I don't think my original statement posted. But thanks for your thoughts. I will provide more photos as the distinctive markings on the back are important. When I receive those photos I will post them to the sellers forum so I am in compliance with the forum and then provide a link.

Thanks for your remarks.

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome, My Antique Collection! I have also had success selling Limoges to South Korea buyers through eBay. It looks like a factory decoration but, as others have mentioned, without seeing the back it's difficult to be certain. As there are many different Limoges factories, and some collectors only look for certain factories, the factory mark should always be shown when selling Limoges. It is a beautiful tray, as a collector I would have snapped it up had it appeared in a local auction.
    Don

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me like there's a large flake at about 9 o'clock, but maybe it's been overglazed and painted, or maybe it's just how the photo looks?

13. You are completely right.

I'm glad that there is interest though. It is a great piece. Will get back to this post when I have more photos.

Thanks

14. You mean the gold trimming around the edges of thr plate?

15. clutteredcloset49

I think it is the indentation of the plate and the way the light struck it. Notice at 11 o'clock there is another scroll decoration next to a dip in the plate design. I don't think it is damaged.

As for saleability, in my area (CA) violets are still a popular item. I think this would sell if the price were reasonable. Things don't fetch what they used to.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is what I'm looking at:

[​IMG]

It does look over painted.

17. That is the indentation in the plate and lighting. I will have more pictures for you later tonight.

18. clutteredcloset49

I see what you are saying. Can you enlarge the next indentation up (about 10 o'clock). Could there be two places? Not the one I mentioned before at 11 o'clock.

19. The original image above should enlarge to your liking. There are no chips, malformations, or painting wearing. The gold paint comes to sharp points on the piece. Also, there is gold trimming around the entire piece and thus why there is gold on the outside. If you need more photos, I can provide some later tonight. Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted