Featured Limoges porcelain - anyone familiar w/ decorators marks?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Oct 4, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Picked up this sauce/gravy boat with an unusual painted scene. At first I thought it was a hobbyist painted piece ... but with all the stamps on the bottom, I'm thinking a professionally decorated piece.

I can find the porcelain maker as Martial Redon & Co., but am lost with the other two marks. The one with three letters may be CRA ... can find one or two references to those letters in conjunction with Redon porcelain, but no mention to what they stand for. The other mark (which I thought would be the easy one) is just a complete mystery to me - from the spacing on the crest, I think only one letter is missing ... Sallais? Pallais? Gallais? Callais? ... is that winged helmet supposed to represent anything/anyone?

There seems to be lint (or something) stuck to/in the paint around the youngster's head ... tried to rinse it off with plain water with no change ... are these designs fired on? Can I use something stronger to try and clean it? Could these linty bits be IN the paint?

P1130260(1).JPG P1130248(1).JPG P1130249(1).JPG P1130251(1).JPG P1130256(1).JPG P1130253(1).JPG
    lint or whatever
    P1130250(1).JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sweet.
    I suppose the other name is Gallia, it being French, and with a Celtic helmet in the mark. Is that the range?

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I blame the parents. They shouldn't let him walk around like that anyway.;)

4. quirkygirl

I don't even want to think of a whole set of china with this motif. :eek:

5. Any Jewelry

But it is sweet.
    And a warning to parents everywhere. If you let your child walk around half naked, he'll get lint stuck to his head.:hilarious:

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Spray with 50-50 ammonia and water. Then use a sponge with Dawn on it, to wash with.

If the stuff is still there, then it is most likely in the glaze.

Suggestions for the marks.
    3884 is the pattern number. It's in red, so maybe the Helmet and sheild are the makers of the porcelain. The helmet looks German.
    MR the decorator.
    I would think a store would have the full name and not initials like the CRA, unless it was something that was really well know.

quirkygirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I guess I read too many Asterix books:
    [​IMG]

But then there is Gallic warlord Vercingetorix (with Romans):
    [​IMG]

Ambiorix, king of Belgian Celts (love the little fierce dragon):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. quirkygirl

Thanks, I'll have to dig around under the sink and see if we have any ammonia.

I forgot to point out that there is also an impressed "MR" mark - just barely visible in photos #4 and #6 ... which, I figure means that M. Redon was the maker of the porcelain.

Agree that 3884 is pattern number ... but is it the porcelain blank pattern? or design pattern? I have seen other examples with red numbers on porcelain stamped with the green MR mark ... but they also had a red M. Redon stamp too (both maker and designer?)

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

10. quirkygirl

Look what you found!!! So ... there are others out there.
    Thank you!
    :happy:
    Aren't putti supposed to have wings?
    I wish one of those listings had mentioned what the "Gallia" mark meant (haven't read through ALL the Worthpoint listings yet ... so maybe one of the ones I have yet to look at, will)

11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any information there other than the ones that say they are signed, or it would be repeated verbatim everywhere!

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That red mark says France in there somewhere, making this a post-1890 piece, but beyond that...dunno.
    OK, I'm weird, but my first thought was "hey, he's kinda cute" ... and the guy's not bad either. The moustache wouldn't be out of place on some of my French Canadian friends to this day. It's a Canadian male thing; I think they start growing them in first grade!

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and quirkygirl like this.
  13. quirkygirl

Thank you, Ruth - this is due to the McKinley Tariff Act, right? Every bit of info helps ... and the dates I'm finding for that MR mark (roughly 1890-1906) works with the date you stated. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. quirkygirl

Thank you AJ and CC! :) Neither History nor Geography are my strong suit, so I appreciate some different directions to explore. The only winged helmet I could find relating to France also involved a chicken.

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Agree totally.
    By the way, where I live was part of his kingdom, so I feel like Ambiorix is my Celtic king. Haven't seen him around much lately....
    I've seen them in Canada, you're right, they all look like Ambiorix. Minus helmet with baby dragon. Someone should introduce that.;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I remember a conversation on the ebay pottery board about "piss cups". Actually, the "piss cups", looked more like gravy boats. I remember wondering how many of these made it to today's tables as gravy boats. :eek: Your piece reminds me of some of those posted in that conversation. Here is a link to an article about these.

https://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/regency-hygiene-the-bourdaloue/

quirkygirl likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But I still LOVE how quaint and delicate your sauce/gravy boat looks!!!! It SO speaks to a wonderful bygone era!!!!!!!:):):):)

judy and quirkygirl like this.
  18. quirkygirl

Haha! I've read about those! They're one of the things I'd certainly buy if found in the wild (not at the top of my list ... but on there, nonetheless). The bourdaloue or female urinal appears to lack a defined pouring spout and has a slight saddle-like curve to the top edge ... I'm sticking to gravy/sauce boat for my piece.

Here's a photo from an old listing (with very little remaining information) showing a large fish set with what looks to be my sauce boat - with the little child/cherub wearing a too short yellow tunic.
    upload_2017-10-5_13-5-39.jpeg

judy likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If they saw that, it probably wouldn't take long! A friend of mine shaved his off when someone asked if he wanted the senior discount. Back then only his 'stache was gray, but now the rest of his hair is gray too. He could grow it back ... and wear that helmet.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Admit I did not read through all the other comments, so hope this is not redundant. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360531310070
    and (scroll down for pix): http://www.ebay.com/itm/251263428984
    Similar theme, but not same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371222533337
    https://www.ebay.ca/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=limoges+martial+redon

Thought I was on a hot scent with this:
    upload_2017-10-12_11-50-22.jpeg

but expired eBay listing says this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/
    121892118676 is signed, they think, A.R. Fullet (Could be Follet)

Tried every search I could think of, including some French terms, such as 'casque ailé' & 'enfant pêchant'.

A putto (pl., putti) looks like a cupid, except without wings.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted