Featured Limoges? porcelain sherbets w/ 3 Graces design need some help please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Jun 12, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I did not realize that these sherbets had 3 different designs in the center until I started taking photos. :confused::confused::confused:

I have figured out the one is the "3 Graces Distressing Cupid", but haven't been able to find the other 2.

There is only 1 with any kind of mark on the bottom. Hobbyist decorated? The images are definitely transfer prints. There is some type of signatures under the center designs. I assume it is possibly attribution to the original artists. :confused::confused: I have included 2, but the third one is so tiny I can't even read it with the help of a loupe. :(:(

Also how would I describe the gold design around the edge & the stem? Engraved roses?

They are 2 5/8" to the side edge & are 4" across.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. bercrystal

Thanks AJ!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I will try to see if possibly he signed the third desgn.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  4. bercrystal

It does look like it is same signature, but the 3rd one is all bunched up & on a darker section of the design.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The scene with 4 women & no cupids appears to be Diana/Artemis with some of her maiden followers. They really are tormenting Cupid, tying him to a tree & threatening to break his bow. I love these, of course.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Only one has a band of gold on the outside of the rim? Is the inside different too?

7. Bronwen

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Not Limoges. Almost all Limoges is marked. Could be hobbyist but I doubt it because the work is just a little too good. It can be tougher to apply those decals than one would think. I would speculate that these were made by a small short-lived decorating house. The four digit number may be a model number or perhaps a special order number. I can't imagine why a hobbyist would need to add a four digit code.

This type of decoration was popular mid-century. Kind of a romantic era revival. For another example see Salem China's Colonial Couple decoration. Salem's is not as nice as yours but it was part of the same trend. Limoges did jump on this bandwagon but, again, since it's not marked Limoges I would very reluctant to attribute it to them. Unfortunately romantic revival has fallen out of favor in today's market. I would describe the roses as "applied gold bands with rose decoration". If selling also feature the Langbroek transfers. If someone is out there looking for more pieces in this pattern it will help them find these.
    Don

9. bercrystal

Thanks Bronwen & Don for all of the additional information!!! :kiss::kiss:

The odd one with the gold band outside was another thing I didn't notice until I was photographing them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::oops: The design inside is not the single odd one. It is the one you ID'd above. There is no other difference other than the gold band & haven't a clue as to why.

I guess just generic white porcelain with the decoration. These may have originally had saucers but with the amount of stuff that came in with this estate it is absolutely amazing we were able to keep any kind of sets together. There was sometimes no rhyme or reason how the stuff was boxed up. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I am still hoping I am able to find the creamer to a tea set I got on a table lot. It is the same maker & shape as the Limoges set I sold last year, but a totally different design. We have one more load that is coming in at the end of this month so I am really hoping I get lucky. ;):happy::happy:

The one with Cupid is a hoot & it was quite interesting reading the background of the original painting.

Any Jewelry, dgbjwc and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted