Limoges Redon Dishes

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mmcrae, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Hi, I have inherited four dishes from my granny and i believe they belonged to her mum who came to canada from Scotland in 1918 at the age of 28. They were quite a well off family. I think they are Limoges Redon from what I can search but it doesnt give me a lot of context to go with it. I cant seem to find any images of porcelain similar to mine either. If anyone has any information or insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you INH. According to my book your mark dates to 1891-1896. It's a beautiful pattern. Normally Limoges patterns that were decorated at a Limoges factory are double-marked but that is not necessarily the case for Martial Redon.
    Don

Figtree3, KSW, Grateful and 2 others like this.
  4. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Thank you so much foe your reply! The time frame makes sense for her to have them. When she first moved to North America she made a stop in Philadelphia. Unfortunately a lot of her possessions were lost on the trip over. Im also tying to find out if they actually did come over with her or if they were purchased in Philadelphia. I think I read that Limoges had factories here too. Is there a way to tell?

KSW and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

"Limoges porcelain refers to a town and region about 229 miles southwest of Paris where deposits of kaolin, a key mineral used for fine porcelain, were discovered in the late 18th century. Porcelain factories sprang up -- each with its own artists, patterns and marks -- cranking out the hardest and among the most prized porcelains in the world. The first porcelain factory opened in 1771, and belonged to brothers Massie and Fourneira Grellet. An American manufacturer, Haviland Limoges, produced widely coveted dinnerware in a Limoges factory from 1842 on. Collectors are most interested in the French Limoges made before about 1930. Marks help to authenticate it. If you're looking for genuine French Limoges, be aware that there are a lot of different marks."

I think you are confusing the fact that Haviland Limoges was OWNED by an American manufacturer, but it was made in a Limoges area factory in France.

KSW, dgbjwc and judy like this.
  6. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Sorry, they made a stop in Pittsburgh:)

KSW and judy like this.
  7. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Oh ok, yes thank you! That makes more sense! Im new to the world of porcelain and the history that goes along with it. Do you know why mine may only have one mark? And do you think that the pattern is grapes or maybe blackberries?

KSW likes this.
  8. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Does this pattern have a name or style associated with it?

KSW likes this.
  9. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Would it have been considered everyday wear for wealthier people or was it quiet expensive and only for special occasions?

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Most likely purchased new in Europe given the dates you are using. I would expect to see a retailer mark if sold in Philadelphia or Pittsburg but nothing can really be ruled out. Limoges dinnerware (including Redon) rarely have pattern names. I would guess this was a higher priced pattern due to the quality of the hand painting. The gold veining on the leaves is a nice touch and not seen often. I doubt it was used as everyday dinnerware.
    Don

11. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

Thank you so much Don for all your insight, this is all very helpful!

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

My pleasure and welcome to our site. I enjoyed seeing your Granny's lovely dish.
    Don

13. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

One last question haha Are they something I should think about getting appraised? Or would they not be valuable enough to require that?

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Frankly, the dishes have a limited value. You would need to find someone looking for this specific pattern and that would be difficult. There are some folks, like myself, that are suckers for beautiful hand painted Limoges but there's more than enough on the market at reasonable (even cheap) prices to keep us satisfied. And it's a bit out of fashion at the moment. Best to keep them as family treasures if you ask me.
    Don

wiscbirddog likes this.
  15. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I believe they are blackberries.

Quite lovely but I don't see enough value to warrant an appraisal.

Are they plate size or a saucer, missing the cup?

dgbjwc likes this.
  16. Mmcrae

Mmcrae New Member

I have three saucers and one plate size

17. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late to the dance; but the one backmark you have shown (ML) indicates that it was made at the Redon factory. and was used after 1896 when Redon retired and the company was taken over by his son Joseph. It stopped using in 1906 when it became a partnership and became known as Porcelaine Limosine (PL). In 1918 the ML part was taken into PL

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted