Featured Lincoln Assassination Memorabilia …

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Roaring20s, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

… via a receipt.

I thought I'd share this, since OakandThistle posted the Lincoln photo.

Baker Receipt.JPG

This receipt lists items loaned to the museum by Luther Byron Baker to the newly formed Minnesota Military Museum, Lansing, Michigan.

Detective Lieutenant Luther Byron Baker spearheaded the hunt for John Wilkes Booth, under orders from his cousin Colonel LaFayette Curry Baker, who headed the National Detective Police.

The item of note is Baker’s own cup, used to provide Booth with is last sips of water as he lay dying at Garrett’s farm, Virginia.

I created this shadow box to house it and illustrate the events to that end.

Baker is pictured, seated on his horse.

James.

mforder, NewEngland, elarnia and 12 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

GREAT JOB on the shadow box you've created, Roaring!

I like that it appears to have a background (with Lincoln that I cannot quite make out from here), a middle (the 1880 letter) and a foreground (the characters on the glass - did you use clear glue for them?)

Looks like the 5th dimension to me! ;)

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment. :happy:

After gathering the images from the internet, I had some fun with photoshop to make it fit the space.

The top portion of the background is the assassination scene at Ford's Theater.

The document is in a protective sleeve. The sleeve has foam board spacer mounted to it and the background.

The characters also have spacers and are glued to the front of the sleeve.

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Well deserved!

I love how the protective sleeve allows for it's slight folds, making it definitely a 3-dimensional letter. Really shows off its importance.

Roaring20s likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted