Featured Lincoln Plaque

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ldhair, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ldhair

ldhair Member

Would love to have any information about the maker and other bronze work he did. I'm not finding much out there about John Cox & Co or John Cox Foundry. Thanks.
    DSCN0388.JPG DSCN0389.JPG DSCN0391.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. ldhair

ldhair Member

Thanks. I looked at that one. It may be the exact piece I now have. Wish it had a reverse image. I see a lot of silver work that Mr. Cox did but very little about bronze. This piece was made in a way that the parts of the work could be used for different works. I'm not finding them.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This is a bit hard to follow on the site but these seem to be from his obituaries I think. I think there is mention of other products but it's hard to tell.

June 17, 1935

John Cox, 85, who founded the Cox brass foundry in Albany N. Y., died this morning at his home, 30 Heck avenue, Ocean Grove. Born in England, he came to this country 65 years ago. The foundry he established is still in existence altho Mr. Cox retired 15 years ago when he took up his residence in Ocean Grove. In the intervening years he designed and made a number of articles In brass during his leisure hours and largely as a hobby.
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/144209690/

June 19, 1935

Funeral Scrvics Today for John Cox, Noted for Fine Collection of Brass of literature and music and other famous persons are reproduced. in brass in the immense collection. Inanimate objects such as Old Ironsides, the Spanish galleons, common Ashing boats, lamps and other Innumerable objects
    After his retirement Mr. Cox went to England to visit his birthplace, which Is also the birthplace of his wife, Lillian Clements. The Clements family had preceeded Mr. Cox to America, settling in Newark, where the father became a prominent leather manufacturer. The family made its summer home in Ocean Grove where Mr. Cox often visited, and it was not long before he renewed the acquaintance that began in England
    Attractive heads of many of the presidents, done in brass, dominate the Cox home. Washington, Lincoln, Grant, Garfield, Hayes, Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson, Hoover and others are represented. One of Hoover he had made before his election to the presidency, optimistically portraying the candidate with a smile of victory. It was presented to the president after election and Mr. Cox received a letter of acknowledgment and also letters from other officials concering it.
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/144209724/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. ldhair

ldhair Member

Thank you. Cool information. Just what I was looking for. There has to be more of his work out there.

7. ldhair

ldhair Member

Yes, I bought the one on ebay and I was happy with the price. There was one at auction many years ago and I quit bidding at about $300. If you folks see something Mr. Cox did, please let me know.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted