Featured Linen Bonnet Help Please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marie Forjan, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, a neighbor asked me to sell this for her and I was hoping for some help...

Am I right, it is Linen?
    Is there anything that points to when it was made?
    Is there a name for the work on the brim?

Let me know if you need to see more photos.

Thanks so much for any help :)

LinenBonnetSideSm.jpg LinenBonnetFtSm.jpg LinenBonnetBkSm.jpg LinenBonnetCU_Sm.jpg

2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I can't help but, oh, that's lovely!

Linda

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

It looks like linen, but may be combined with raw silk?

I think it is linen

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    ulilwitch and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was looking for info on snoods, but those appear to be more open. (Crochet)
    I think what you may have is a Civil War or slightly later Day Cap.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Adult or infant size??? BEAUTIFUL!!!!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's beautiful. A sun bonnet? Just the look of the thick and thin threads in the cap make me think they might be hand spun. I'll be disappointed if any of this turns out to be machine made.

ulilwitch, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Thank you everyone :)

I think it is a small adult size, too large for an infant.

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The band along the front edges looks odd to me, like a commercial machine woven elastic trim. Hard to tell from here, though. Did your neighbor provide any background for the cap - where she got it, or how long it has been in the family?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lovely! And appears to be in excellent condition with no staining. Is it all hand stitched? Any sign that ribbons would have been attached?

Debora

Aquitaine, ulilwitch and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Lovely!
    I'd like to see a photo of the inside, including a shot of how the circular back piece is sewn/attached. Also, close-ups of the undersides of the trims, and hems. Construction techniques can often be good clues.

How long has the neighbor had it and where did he/she get it from?

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm curious about the construction as well. That openwork piece in the front appears to be crudely sewn onto the body of the cap and the outside piece of trim, as 2manybooks noted, seems totally different. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

13. Marie Forjan

I will get more photos up by tomorrow :)

There is a little stain on the trim on the front, I'll show that also.

This friend and her DH are the only people in their families who care about "old stuff" so just about everything came to them. Sometimes my friend knows who owned an item, sometimes not but I will double check with her on this.

Figtree3, ulilwitch, judy and 4 others like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wondering if whoever owned it originally, might have bought (mail order back in the day??) the decorative front piece and hand made the functional 'bonnet' piece??? JUST SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Which might be why you see it hand stitched on to the 'bonnet' (?) piece????

Christmasjoy, ulilwitch and judy like this.
  16. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

So very beautiful. Reminds me of civil war head coverings. Maybe used for confirmation. Just my opinion hat.jpg

Christmasjoy, antidiem, judy and 2 others like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Think back in the day, most women made their own items. You can see the hand stitching.
    The "lace" almost looks like tatting, but this isn't my area, so I could be wrong.

18. antidiem

It looks like tatting to me, too, Cluttered.

@ulilwitch , I have one similar to the one you posted, perhaps it is not as fancy. I believe mine to be Civil War era, I can post it later to show you.

The whole thing looks much like a handwoven, decorated cloth napkin to me. I don't ever remember seeing this style as made in the USA, but rather from a country like the Ukraine.

@Marie Forjan , would you please take some photos of the interior construction for us?

19. Marie Forjan

OK, I am back with more photos...there is some staining, you can see some of it in this first photo.

Close up of the brim from the outside:
    LinenBonnetCU2Sm.jpg

Close up of the brim folded over to see both sides:
    LinenBonnetCU3Sm.jpg

Flattened out showing the inside of the brim and the outside of the back. Note the ribbon tied in the back center to tighten the bonnet under a women's hair:
    LinenBonnetBkFlatSm.jpg

The inside showing where the brim is attached to the bonnet:
    LinenBonnetCU4Sm.jpg

This is the back turned inside out:
    LinenBonnetInsideBkSm.jpg

I have all these photos as high res so if there is a section of any white that needs to be shown in close up let me know.

I spoke to my friend who is in her 80s. She said things are a bit sketchy, everything old in both hers and DH's families came to them as no one else wanted them. Most were not labeled in any way. But she believes this belonged to her great, great grandmother. I asked her if it is possible that would date it to the Civil War era, she said yes, it's possible.

I tried to call her back to ask more questions but had to leave a message. The family lived in New England, New Hampshire I think, but I will find out. I will ask if it would be possible they had any connection to Eastern Europe or the Ukraine.

20. antidiem

It definitely looks handmade! &SWEET!! Thanks for the extra shots!

ulilwitch and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted