Lion Bookend Vintage or Reproduction??

Discussion in 'Art' started by MML, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Hi there, I got this lion at a thrift store a while back. I have tried to find another like it online, but no luck. Do you think it's vintage or newer? I have just the one and it weighs a bit over 5 pounds. The lion sounds hollow, looks like the base was gold at one time and painted black as there is some black on the lion. It is about 14" in length and 5" wide. Thanks for any help! DSC09969 (640x640).jpg DSC09973 (640x640).jpg DSC09975 (639x640).jpg DSC09982 (640x640).jpg

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Peel back a corner of that pad and see what it looks like . And post a pic. :)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Check Canova lion bookends. Think this is one of the pair, which are in 2 slightly different poses.

Huntingtreasure and MML like this.
  4. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Good idea. The black pad is very sticky. It looks like it was sprayed with a glue, since the center of the felt is sticky also. DSC00221 (640x639).jpg

Asian Fever and judy like this.
  5. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but I just don't see anything like it from the ones I looked at.

judy likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Is that plaster,or resin ?

MML likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yours looks like a less detailed version of the vigilant lion. But maybe all lions look pretty much alike when in this position.

MML, judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  8. MML

MML Well-Known Member

It feels like a rough plastic.

judy likes this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

I’d think it was a reproduction Antonio Canova. It’s common for famous iconic bronzes to become mass produced with simpler mounds. Still a bargain I assume if from a thrift store. Cool purchase.

Anybody who loves lions in sculpture should look for renditions of the Lion of Lucerne, a beautiful work if you haven’t seen it already. Animal symbolism in one of its noblest and most impressive forms.

MML and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

OMG, you just asked to peel off its underware..... :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa and MML like this.
  11. MML

MML Well-Known Member

I have never seen the Lion of Lucerne monument, really stunning. Thank you for mentioning that and for your other thoughts.

12. MML

MML Well-Known Member

:cat: Just checking his litter box. :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted